Good piano based jazz/pop CD's?
Mar 16, 2003 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
I was listening to the Dave Matthews Band - Live At Red Rocks album, and there is a pianist who does a solo in the Two Step track. Really enjoyable to listen to.

Anyway, is there any music out there that simply revolves around some jazzy or poppy piano work?

Funny question, I know. Anybody?

Mar 19, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 9
if you don't mind old-fashioned, check Diana Krall, or even Nat King Cole (that guy's kinda dated tho). thats jazzy stuff, but the very-laid-back type.

Vanessa Carlton is very nice to listen to as well, lovely poppy piano music. terribly cute voice, but in a good way.
wink.gif

or how about Elton John? dunno what he did over the past decades, but theres lotsa piano in there.

hope this helps ya some. dunno if you know AMG (www.allmusic.com), but it's a great site to browse through and find some new artists. if you stick to mainstream, they're the best source of info.

Mar 26, 2003 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm a pretty big Ben Folds Five / Ben Folds Fan. I think his latest is Ben Folds Live which is a pretty awesome album.

Mar 28, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Diana Krall - ugh. Not for me. Geri Allen is a far better female pianist - and not based on blone hype. I don't have the CD with me here but I think the title of one of her recent ones is called " the Gathering"

Keith Jarrett is head and shoulders above. Joe Sample is cool too.

Weather Report - very keybaord oriented, very pop-jazzy, ver good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back