Good phones to sleep
Dec 9, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 29
PortaPro's are the best but I don't have those anymore. :/ PX200's work very well though. Sometimes I use Ety's...but most times not. I wake up all tangled up in them and laying on them and I don't want to mess them up. Plus PX200's are nice and cushy...comfort is more important than sound when I'm falling asleep.

Dec 9, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 29
I used to listen to my HD600s falling asleep. The sound is pretty relaxed and relaxing. Well... you cannot turn on your side (which in general I miss a lot), but there is also less danger to lie on and damage your phones and health.

Falling asleep with phones might be okay.. but if it is not about sound, I'd go with some (any) speakers. It's by far more comfortable.

Dec 9, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 29
wow, you guys are actually talking about completely falling asleep with your phones. i thought the discussion was mainly about just lying in bed with them, perhaps before you fall asleep. not sure why... i mean he did say:

Quote:

I'm looking for a good pair of haedphones or ear phones that I could use in my bed to sleep

i usually love to lie down with my 7506's on and although they're not super comfortable like a lot of the high end phones are and won't allow me to lie on my side, i don't mind the sacrifice. plus, as I see I'm starting to dream away, I take them off and go to sleep. sometimes I do end up falling asleep with them, but that's no longer than an hour before I'm half awake taking them off. I don't see how people can actually fall asleep with their headphones on... never believed it to be possible.

Dec 10, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 29
I use ety's but when I'm lying on my side I pop out the one in the ear that's lying on the pillow. Obviously there's a big compromise in the sound but there's absolutely no compromise in sleeping comfort that way.

I also use a replacement cable from Xin that's much thinner and more flexible and greatly reduces microphonics.

--
Steve

Dec 11, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 29
1 sided cord is superb when you're using headphones in bed. just throw the cord above your head and forget the headphones.

every full sized headphone will change their sound once you add pressure on one cup by laying on the side. not mentioning that this is hardly a solution.
i can approve that the HD600 are easy to fall asleep with. something is magical about the HD600 at low volumes. if you buy these, you'll remove them sometime later in the night, nothing to worry about too much. build quality is just fine. otoh, the cord ain't one sided.

ER-4 are dangerous. i'll never go to bed with them. i might wake into the worst day of my life. the stick out too much from the ear.

don't know about shures, still haven't met my E5, which are waiting for me abroad.
Lindrone,
you are our test dummy now, you must go and sleep with your E5 for a week and report if any eardrum damage done!

Dec 11, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 29
i was thinking about trying to use my er-6s to fall asleep to as well but im afraid they'll fall out while im asleep and somehow get crushed.

waking up on the wrong side of the bed is one thing but waking up to find a 100 bux worth of crushed plastic and metal is a whole nother level of grumpiness.

unfortunately i cant think of any form of head/earphones that are safe from the crush factor of sleeping. i guess if you're a very still sleeping then earphones [ety or shure] would be the best bet but i dont trust myself enough to risk 100+ bucks on it heh.

Dec 13, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kanefsky
I've slept on and rolled over my er4p's a million times and they're none the worse for wear. I'm not familiar with the er6's but the er4's are very tough.

So are your ears! Wow!

Dec 13, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
PortaPro's are the best but I don't have those anymore. :/ PX200's work very well though.

A number of people have recommended falling asleep while wearing the KSC-35. I've not tried them, but I have fallen asleep while wearing the Sony V6, F1, NC20, and the Bose Quiet Comfort 2.

Dec 13, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #27 of 29
Shure E5's are great to fall asleep with. I use the yellow foams or triple flanges...and have been listening in bed for 2 years with the E5's. The wife is also happy because they didn't keep her up at night like my Grados. I would be worried about stabbing my brain with ety's, and the microphonics would drive you nuts if you tend to breath in bed. Since the E5s go around the ear, you can put the cable behind you. You don't even notice the cable and you don't have the microphic problem either. E5s (or any other in ear) are also nice because it blocks out the snoring of your significant other. hehe

Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kampfy
Trying to fall asleep with my HD590s on is...an interesting affair. The people saying it would be possible to fall asleep on your side with them on must have far fluffier pillows than I, because the headphones are definitely large enough so that you're always aware that you're wearing them. Sorta hard to fall asleep that way.

Also, when you block sound from escaping to the outside of one of the sides (since they are open headphones), it creates a very bizarre effect which is also hard to fall asleep to. The A900s are just as big / even bigger than the HD590s also, from what I hear.

I've fallen asleep waring the 590's.

Dec 13, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
PortaPro's are the best but I don't have those anymore. :/ PX200's work very well though. Sometimes I use Ety's...but most times not. I wake up all tangled up in them and laying on them and I don't want to mess them up. Plus PX200's are nice and cushy...comfort is more important than sound when I'm falling asleep.

I kinda like to portapros my self for sleeping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back