Good PC speakers for an IEM guy?
Sep 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jjmai

1000+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my PC speakers.  Need a little help here, looking for something in $100~200 range.
I currently have Logitech G51, but they just don't do music justice, too muddy.
I used a lot of IEMs, so I think I know what kind of sound signature I like - warm and bassy sound (current fav: Fischer Audio Eterna).
I want 2.0/2.1 or 5.1 amplified speakers/monitors that can run directly off Xonar DS sound card with TRS connectors.  I listen to a variety of music: pop, jpop, cpop, tango nuevo, electronica, classical, acoustics, etc.  No gaming, minimal cinema.
I've been looking at M-Audio AV40 and BX5A Deluxe.  Are they good fit for me?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 8
help please?

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade my PC speakers.  Need a little help here, looking for something in $100~200 range.
I currently have Logitech G51, but they just don't do music justice, too muddy.
I used a lot of IEMs, so I think I know what kind of sound signature I like - warm and bassy sound (current fav: Fischer Audio Eterna).
I want 2.0/2.1 or 5.1 amplified speakers/monitors that can run directly off Xonar DS sound card with TRS connectors.  I listen to a variety of music: pop, jpop, cpop, tango nuevo, electronica, classical, acoustics, etc.  No gaming, minimal cinema.
I've been looking at M-Audio AV40 and BX5A Deluxe.  Are they good fit for me?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

I've owned both the AV40 and the BX5A deluxe, and personally liked both. I thought the AV40 was light in the bass department, though I've heard some people say you might need a sub with the BX5As, but I thought there was plenty of bass, and I mostly listen to hip-hop. One thing I will also say is, if you're looking at these 2, I would just skip the AV40. The BX5a is far superior in every way IMO. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I've been using a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for 2 years.  Great detail on the satellites, and some BUMPIN bass in that sub.  

They don't make'em anymore, but there are plenty of deals on eBay for used sets.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 8
not sure if you can compare iem's to studio monitors fairly and every studio monitor should give you a flat sound, its up to your gear before hand to give the warm and bassy sound..also depends on how you set up the speakers and the room. I use bx8a's and love them, the reason why i went with the 8's over the 5's is because the 8's bass response goes lower and i didn't want to do a 2.1 setup. if your space and budget won't allow the larger 8's or if you're really planning on going with a sub then the 5's should work out great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back