Good pair of headphones for 100$ or less.
Mar 31, 2007 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tufflitestudios

Head-Fier
Getting married soon and was considering buying headphones for my groomsmen gifts. They all love music but don’t have the budget or motivation to buy playback gear. I am always giving them music now its time for them to actually hear it. I am looking to buy new, pay about 100$ or less, and will probably buy three sets of cans. None of these people have anything good for play back. I assume they will come out of a computer headphone jack, portable CD player, or possibly an old Sony receiver. Being somewhat portable would be a good thing but not mandatory. I was thinking about the Sure E2 but not sure if IEM’s would be a good gift. I was also thinking about the Sony 7506 and Senn hd250. One thing about the Sony and Senn is that they both fold up that way they may get out of the house more. Andy help would be great.
Thanks, Ed

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 19
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=9016

includes Fed Ex shipping.

You can also get them from OneCall.com for 59.99 that have been opened/returned and 11.00 shipping if you need other pairs, but Grado is a tradition and a worthy gift for a music lover IMO, the 80s come with a miniplug or 1/4" adapter and can be driven off a full sized system or an IPOD easy.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 19
I am spending enough on the wedding. So spending under 100 each would be cool. I think 100 is the most I wanted to spend. My friends probably won't know the difference between a 50 and $100 pair of cans. I was thinking if I had some extra cash I would send the rest on a hard drive, fill it up, and let them take turns with it. Then they would have new tunes and cans.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 19
Look at my sig...I'll sell them to you for $100.
smily_headphones1.gif
They are a good set of IEMs.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 19
I am not sure if IEM's would be a good gift. Personally I am into using headphones and am unsure if I would like IEM's. My understanding is that IEM's are just not for everyone. I want to wow them not possibly disappoint them with something they don't like. They all have girlfriends and it seems more reasonable to share the custody of cans than IEM's. Let me know what you think...

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 19
Grado sr60 plus flat pad if you want more bass and more punch

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 19
The MDR 7506 was my first choice. But looks like I could save some cash and get the MDR V6. Any thoughts on that? Why arn't grado's for everyone? Thanks for the feedback....

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 19
Well if you do decide to get some IEM's remember mine are for sale
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 19
what about senn 555s? their pretty good for ~100. Not for the audiophile, but for the casual listener, definitley great! px100s are pretty good for everyone! sr 60s are good too. lots of causal listeners like the akg k26p or k81 dj. Senn eh350 is supposed to be good and so is hd 25sp.

good luck

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tufflitestudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR 7506 was my first choice. But looks like I could save some cash and get the MDR V6. Any thoughts on that? Why arn't grado's for everyone? Thanks for the feedback....

A definitive answer to why Grados, specifically the SR60 and SR80, are not for everyone could be a multi-page thread all in its self. The short of it is some (and not likely most) like them and others do not. Regardless of how many Grado lovers their are, many do not like how the SR60 or SR80 sound as compared to other similarly priced cans and finds them uncomfortable.

You will be much better off going with cans that are more readily acceptable to the masses like either of those Sonys. You could read the reviews on the V6 and 7506 at amazon.com to get a better idea of the differences. When done choosing, it most likely will come down to how much money you want to spend, how much you appreciate your friends, and how much you think they will appreciate the differences between these cans.

Mar 31, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tufflitestudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any thoughts on that? Why arn't grado's for everyone?

Maybe for those who didn't tested them with flat pad, bowls make them sound too high it's true

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 19
One thing the Grados will do... is be a lasting memory which is the event your sponsoring. One day, 20 years from now, ONE of them will pull out your gift and say ED.. I STILL listen to these headphones and they still rock...
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been married almost 20 years and not too long ago one of my buddies pulled out his pocket knife that I had made ... he still had it.. which was so cool.

Regardless of which cans you get for them, the real deal is just getting together and asking them to stand up there with you, its a pretty cool moment and one you will remember the rest of your life. I can also tell you with the right gal, it just gets better!

Whatever you choose for your men, Congrats Ed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back