Good pair of closed headphones?
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Quest88

Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm mainly a speaker person, but now need a set of closed headphones for use in the same room, whenever either partner is resting/sleeping. Sound isolation is important - only so it does not disturb the other party in the room. While sound quality is not the most critical, we are realising our expectations are quite high..

I was very keen on the Stax 4070 as I already own a Stax amp but found it is out of production.

Have done my basic rounds, testing several headphones from  Audio Technica (W5000, W1000), AKG, Denon (not sure what models) and other brands.

After the auditions, me and the gf found the Ultrasone Edition 8 and Beyerdynamic T5p to be more to our preference among the lot, but want to expand our choices as my gf wants better performance as there were some cons from these headphones she prefers not to accept. This is in addition to comfort considerations (the Ultrasone does not fit well on her head, nor do I find it that comfortable).

While we are open to higher budget, we found the much cheaper Shure 940 to be relatively decent and don't want to miss out on headphones of this calibre. Preference is for a neutral, balanced sound which is probably why we like Stax and don't seem to mind studio headphones. As a reference, I use Focal Utopia speakers for my hifi setup.

Does anyone have closed headphones to recommend that we can take a look at, that I hadn't mentioned?
Meanwhile I might try a WTB for a Stax 4070, but noted there is already one such ad here. :)

Any advice is much appreciated.

EDIT: Question posed in 'Recommendations thread instead' as advised.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 5
I see this is your first post.  You would increase your chances of getting a helpful response by posting on either the the "Recommendations" thread in this section of the forum or by going over to the Summit Fi forum section--if you want advice about cans in the $1,000 + range.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Let's see.. anyway, I was recommended Fostex TH900 by a shop I just visited.. read all 101 pages in the thread here and it seems very promising. Unfortunately no stock available to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back