Good pair of cans under $100.
Dec 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Noxey

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. A while ago I was interested in the HD 555s and the Audio Technica AD700s, but aparantly they've skyrocketed in price.

I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones for music and gaming. I listen to acoustic music, or soft rock styles. (Think John Mayer). In terms of gaming, sound staging would be nice, but I'm not too intense right now, so I'm not all that concerned. (And if I do buy an Astro Mixamp, it will make things easier anyway). 

If anyone has some suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Also, does anyone know WHY the Ad700s and the HD555s went up in price so much? It's nearly a 50% increase from the last time I checked.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Hey guys. A while ago I was interested in the HD 555s and the Audio Technica AD700s, but aparantly they've skyrocketed in price.
I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones for music and gaming. I listen to acoustic music, or soft rock styles. (Think John Mayer). In terms of gaming, sound staging would be nice, but I'm not too intense right now, so I'm not all that concerned. (And if I do buy an Astro Mixamp, it will make things easier anyway). 
If anyone has some suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Also, does anyone know WHY the Ad700s and the HD555s went up in price so much? It's nearly a 50% increase from the last time I checked.

I'm guessing they figured they have sold all they can for the Christmas season and keeping the price low would not help sell more.
If your willing to up you budget a little for Senn HD-558s, go to Electronics Expo, use the coupon code BOUNTII, at one time it would bring the price down to $124.
Or save a few dollars and get the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with the Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads.
or the Samson SR850 (but the Velour pads for the SR850 are $60).

Dec 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S

I second these. I bought a pair as a Christmas present this year, and I like them for gaming more than my Shure SRH440s. They differently have a different sound, which I didn't like at first(listened to them for a few hours, right out of the box -- no burn in).

Eventually, I started liking them more and more. They're definitely a great deal at their price, and I plan on picking them up along with a microphone, as a gaming headset.

I messed around with an EQ, and they sounded great for all the music I tried(Tool, King Crimson, Third Eye Blind, Sufjan Stevens, and Neil Young).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back