Good overall headphones + AMP/DAC
May 27, 2019 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Dtshaw

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have recently tried out the DT 990 Pros with a fiio e10k and while it gave me a taste of good audio. I also found that certain sounds were really sharp and not plesant to listen to... thus i am in search of a good set of headphones + an AMP for gaming/films/music.

I have seen two products that get recommend a lot for being good overall headphones... such as the AKG 712 Pros and the Philips Fidelio X2HR. The AKG 712 Pros are £200 and the X2HRs are £260 at the moment on amazon. I have heard the Pros are quite Fuzzy when it comes to Amps... while the X2s don't really require one..

Anyway, i am looking to spend upto £300 or around there and looking for recommdations good overall headphone + amp/dac :)

May 27, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 16
What type of music do you listen to primarily?
Gaming is single or multi,casual or ultra seriously competitive?

May 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi guys,
I have recently tried out the DT 990 Pros with a FiiO E10K and while it gave me a taste of good audio. I also found that certain sounds were really sharp and not pleasant to listen to... thus i am in search of a good set of headphones + an AMP for gaming/films/music.
I have seen two products that get recommend a lot for being good overall headphones... such as the AKG 712 Pros and the Philips Fidelio X2HR. The AKG 712 Pros are £200 and the X2HRs are £260 at the moment on amazon. I have heard the Pros are quite Fuzzy when it comes to Amps... while the X2s don't really require one..

Anyway, i am looking to spend up to £300 or around there and looking for recommendations good overall headphone + amp/dac :)
The 62-Ohm AKG K700 series of headphones are considered fairly power hungry,
where as the 30-Ohm Philips X2HR would be easier to drive and should work with just about any smartphone.
So the X2HR should work with your current FiiO E10K.

May 27, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 16
What type of music do you listen to primarily?
Gaming is single or multi,casual or ultra seriously competitive?

Well, it can range from prog rock, rock, pop, classical, anime osts and just a bit of everything really...

Gaming wise it's mostly Dota 2 (Moba) or Starcraft 2 (RTS) and do play some single player games!. I don't really play FPS all that much unless it's with mates and that's only.. every so often, so yea!.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 16
The 62-Ohm AKG K700 series of headphones are considered fairly power hungry,
where as the 30-Ohm Philips X2HR would be easier to drive and should work with just about any smartphone.
So the X2HR should work with your current FiiO E10K.

I no longer have the E10k as i sent it back with the DT 990s. The only concern is the X2HRs have priced jumped by £30 and are £260 and heard several people say it's not worth it at that price point and much better options.. :)

May 27, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 16
The X2 is more fun sounding than the AKGs. If you were a hardcore FPSer,I'd suggest the AKG K701/702,but since its not a huge part of your gaming I think the X2 would work. I agree though that at that price,its hard to justify.
If youre willing to buy used,the X1 and X2 can usually be had for around 140-160usd.

FWIW I have used the X1 for gaming for years,and theyre good for non competitive gaming. I wouldnt use them for prog rock though. Prolly grab a Grado SR60 or 80 for music duty at that price point..

May 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 16
The X2 is more fun sounding than the AKGs. If you were a hardcore FPSer,I'd suggest the AKG K701/702,but since its not a huge part of your gaming I think the X2 would work. I agree though that at that price,its hard to justify.
If youre willing to buy used,the X1 and X2 can usually be had for around 140-160usd.

FWIW I have used the X1 for gaming for years,and theyre good for non competitive gaming. I wouldnt use them for prog rock though. Prolly grab a Grado SR60 or 80 for music duty at that price point..

They seem to be going for £120-£140 on Ebay just from a quick look. I do however have some concerns such as my onboard audio being kinda trash.. (ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC) and the item being second hand.. If i understand correctly, you are suggesting to get a second hand pair of X2s for gaming/some music and the SR60/80s for prog rock?.

I am kinda curious though.. wouldn't the K12 pros be a better all rounder for the things i intend to use them for? :)

May 27, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 16
I no longer have the E10k as i sent it back with the DT 990s. The only concern is the X2HRs have priced jumped by £30 and are £260 and heard several people say it's not worth it at that price point and much better options.. :)
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones, they are like an improved DT990.

May 27, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 16
They seem to be going for £120-£140 on Ebay just from a quick look. I do however have some concerns such as my onboard audio being kinda trash.. (ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC) and the item being second hand.. If i understand correctly, you are suggesting to get a second hand pair of X2s for gaming/some music and the SR60/80s for prog rock?.

I am kinda curious though.. wouldn't the K12 pros be a better all rounder for the things i intend to use them for? :)

No doubt the K701/02/12 is a better all around headphone than the X2,but IMO it takes a very special amp to make them sound fantastic. I own the K701 and have tried it thru several amps and was unimpressed. It didnt sound bad,but it was nothing special. Then I got my GOTL amp,and now that headphone is mind-blowingly good.

The X2 is easy to drive and wont sound bad regardless of which amp,if any,you end up getting.

Simply put,at your budget,the X2 is a safer and easier bet.

Regarding your on board sound,perhaps grab an inexpensive USB DAC like the Schiit Fulla or Dragonfly Red or better yet,the Modi 3.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 16
No doubt the K701/02/12 is a better all around headphone than the X2,but IMO it takes a very special amp to make them sound fantastic. I own the K701 and have tried it thru several amps and was unimpressed. It didnt sound bad,but it was nothing special. Then I got my GOTL amp,and now that headphone is mind-blowingly good.

The X2 is easy to drive and wont sound bad regardless of which amp,if any,you end up getting.

Simply put,at your budget,the X2 is a safer and easier bet.

Regarding your on board sound,perhaps grab an inexpensive USB DAC like the Schiit Fulla or Dragonfly Red or better yet,the Modi 3.

Right, gotcha. I heard only good things about the JDS labs Atom and heard it pairs well with the K712 pros. However, if i did get it.. if i am understanding correctly.. i would need a Dac to go with the Amp? :)

What would be the max you would pay for the X2s?. I was personally thinking along £200 but yea! :)

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 16
Right, gotcha. I heard only good things about the JDS labs Atom and heard it pairs well with the K712 pros. However, if i did get it.. if i am understanding correctly.. i would need a Dac to go with the Amp? :)

Pretty much yeah. If youre voicing concerns about your on-board sound,then most def.
I have no experience with the Atom,so I cant say Yea or Nay.

Understand however that if you enjoy + bass,the AKGs might underwhelm you. Thats where the X2s have the advantage with big hard slamming bass,which is fun for gaming. The mids on the X2 are not great,hence the recommendation for an inexpensive Grado,which will bring the mids much more forward on guitar-centric music.

I reviewed the Grado SR80e on my YouTube channel. Perhaps have a look(link in signature.)

May 27, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 16
Pretty much yeah. If youre voicing concerns about your on-board sound,then most def.
I have no experience with the Atom,so I cant say Yea or Nay.

Understand however that if you enjoy + bass,the AKGs might underwhelm you. Thats where the X2s have the advantage with big hard slamming bass,which is fun for gaming. The mids on the X2 are not great,hence the recommendation for an inexpensive Grado,which will bring the mids much more forward on guitar-centric music.

I reviewed the Grado SR80e on my YouTube channel. Perhaps have a look(link in signature.)

Ah, i see. I was hoping for a headphone for great overall for all music, not the best but a jack of all trades i guess!. I am not really a super bass heavy guy. It's during my research that i came across the X2HRs and 712 Pros for my price range being the best for overall for music/'gaming and films. :)

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 16
I like the K701 for everything,including music and its a phenom for pinpointing enemies in FPSers. Its a great headphone when given an amp that it is a good match. I say that owning headphones that retail for $2500.00. My K701s still get head time,even with more costly options in my collection. Its just not a heavy slamming headphone in the mid bass dept. If youre cool with that,and you feel via your research that the Atom is the answer to your amping needs,then I say go for that combo.

EDIT: I just saw your edit... I wouldnt pay above 150.00 usd for an X1/X2,but thats just me. My X1s never hear music. I use it strictly for non-competitive gaming,as the big bass makes explosions and gunfire much more immersive than the K701.

To break it down into simple terms for you:

X2-big bass for fun gaming and action films. Easy to drive,and not amp picky.
K701/02/12-everything else.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 16
I like the K701 for everything,including music and its a phenom for pinpointing enemies in FPSers. Its a great headphone when given an amp that it is a good match. I say that owning headphones that retail for $2500.00. My K701s still get head time,even with more costly options in my collection. Its just not a heavy slamming headphone in the mid bass dept. If youre cool with that,and you feel via your research that the Atom is the answer to your amping needs,then I say go for that combo.

EDIT: I just saw your edit... I wouldnt pay above 150.00 usd for an X1/X2,but thats just me. My X1s never hear music. I use it strictly for non-competitive gaming,as the big bass makes explosions and gunfire much more immersive than the K701.

To break it down into simple terms for you:

X2-big bass for fun gaming and action films. Easy to drive,and not amp picky.
K701/02/12-everything else.

Yeah, that's generally what i have seen the general consensus being in regards to them both. I can either go the Creative G6 with the X2s which is about £310 brand new or the K712 pros with the JDS Labs Atom for £300 though i would need a DAC.. >.<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back