Good over-the-ears headphones for heavier music?
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Plahstiography

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

Like the title says, I am looking for a pair of over-the-ears headphones for the more heavy music.

I'm not too sure of the genres the bands I listen to are in, as there's a lot of different, conflicting information around. 
Although I'd probably go with Metalcore, because that's what most people describe it as. 

Bands like Parkway Drive, ERRA and I Killed The Prom Queen.
Occassionally I'll listen to some country, jazz, metal, rock and so on and so forth - basically a lot of different styles of music.

Though I'm really only going to ask for headphones that handle the Metalcore music well, for simplicity's s sake. 

What are some good ~$200-$250 headphones for that kind of music? 
I'm really only looking to leave them at home. 

I've heard a lot of good about the Grado SR80i's, unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone that'd ship them to my location (a small/medium sized town in Denmark)

Have also had a look at Marshall Monitor headphones and
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

Any recommendations is appreciated! :)

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello, 

Like the title says, I am looking for a pair of  over-ear headphones for the more heavy music.

I'm not too sure of the genres the bands I listen to are in, as there's a lot of different, conflicting information around. 
Although I'd probably go with Metalcore, because that's what most people describe it as. 

Bands like Parkway Drive, ERRA and I Killed The Prom Queen.
Occassionally I'll listen to some country, jazz, metal, rock and so on and so forth - basically a lot of different styles of music.

Though I'm really only going to ask for headphones that handle the Metalcore music well, for simplicitie's sake. 

What are some good ~$200-$250 headphones for that kind of music? 
I'm really only looking to leave them at home. 

I've heard a lot of good about the Grado SR80i's, unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone that'd ship them to my location (a small/medium sized town in Denmark)

Have also had a look at Marshall Monitor headphones and
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones.

Any recommendations is appreciated! :)

What kind of sound are you looking for?
What headphones have you tried and liked?

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm not really too sure, as I'm completely new to headphones. Only headphones I've actually ever tried has been gaming headphones, and that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd probably look for something with a balanced bass and mids/highs (if that's even possible. Not sure what sound that is) - the pair that I have now I absolutely hate (not sure what I expected out of a Razer headset), because it's so damn bass heavy. It's a gaming headset after all. 

The only headsets I've tried are the SteelSeries Siberia H5V2, a Sennheiser PC 151 gaming headset, and then this (in my opinion) god awful Razer Kraken headset. 

Not the best of headsets for music.

EDIT: misread your post.
Only one of those headsets I've liked the sound in are the Sennheiser PC 151. Not too bass heavy, like the Razer Kraken, and not too flat like the SteelSeries one. 
Though I'm sure headphones made for music is in a whole different ballpark than headphones made for gaming.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Do you need isolation (meaning sound does not leak out and outside noise is blocked)? If you do, then you will want to look for "closed" headphones. The ATH-M50X are closed. Grado headphones are "open" and do not provide any isolation.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you need isolation (meaning sound does not leak out and outside noise is blocked)? If you do, then you will want to look for "closed" headphones. The ATH-M50X are closed. Grado headphones are "open" and do not provide any isolation.

Since I'm just going to use them at home, they don't really need to be closed. I might take them with me whenever I stay at a friends place, but most likely not, as I only have a cellphone with music on then, and that's not really optimal. 

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the closed and open ones? Asides from the ones you listed, obviously

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Since I'm just going to use them at home, they don't really need to be closed. I might take them with me whenever I stay at a friends place, but most likely not, as I only have a cellphone with music on then, and that's not really optimal. 

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the closed and open ones? Asides from the ones you listed, obviously

The main differences are generally soundstage and bass impact.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm not really too sure, as I'm completely new to headphones. Only headphones I've actually ever tried has been gaming headphones, and that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd probably look for something with a balanced bass and mids/highs (if that's even possible. Not sure what sound that is) - the pair that I have now I absolutely hate (not sure what I expected out of a Razer headset), because it's so damn bass heavy. It's a gaming headset after all. 

The only headsets I've tried are the SteelSeries Siberia H5V2, a Sennheiser PC 151 gaming headset, and then this (in my opinion) god awful Razer Kraken headset. 

Not the best of headsets for music.

EDIT: misread your post.
Only one of those headsets I've liked the sound in are the Sennheiser PC 151. Not too bass heavy, like the Razer Kraken, and not too flat like the SteelSeries one. 
Though I'm sure headphones made for music is in a whole different ballpark than headphones made for gaming.

I think warm all rounders would be the safest.
The marshall monitor and ath m50 both seem to fit that category.
Closed:
Yamaha mt220
Open:
Hifiman he300
Soundmagic hp200

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 8
I think warm all rounders would be the safest.
The marshall monitor and ath m50 both seem to fit that category.
Closed:
Yamaha mt220
Open:
Hifiman he300
Soundmagic hp200

Thanks, I'll make sure to check those out. Read some reviews and such, see where I can get them. 
I know I can get the Marshall Monitor and The ATH-M50 shipped to where I live, and some stores nearby also have them. 
I'll have to check the other ones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back