Good over-ears for around $50, mostly country music
Sep 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

matthewsot

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for around $50 (but I might go up to, maybe $70 if it's a really outstanding pair), I don't care that much for bass, but I do like to have very defined mids & highs. Mostly listen to country music, but I do enjoy a lot of other genres/artists (artists like ZZ Top, Michael Jackson, famous people like that), so I'd like a pair that's pretty well-rounded. After reading through the 2013 summer buying guide (and doing some research on my own), I've come up with the following list:

• Koss ProDJ100 - look good, but the "extreme bass response" that's mentioned in it's description seems to mean it's more focused towards people who like a lot of bass. The buying guide, tho, said it's not really that bass-heavy, so these could be an option.
  • Sennheiser HD 203/205-II - I've heard Sennheiser again and again looking for headphones, but they're generally not as recommended in the lower-end market (except for the PXs, which I don't really care for the style of). Is there a reason for this? The 203s look to be what I'd be looking for, and the 205-IIs just look like an improvement on that.
  • Phillips CitiScape Downtown/Uptown - They both are about the same price, but I like the look of the uptowns better (and, from what I read, they're supposed to be the higher-end model o.0). The buying guide said they were very well-rounded, which I like. Also the design is great (at least for the uptowns, I don't love the downtowns as much). The price ($75, at least on Amazon) does put me off a bit - I'm not sure if they're worth the extra money

Are there any others you'd recommend, or one of these that stands out as great? It's my first real headphone purchase in quite a while (I've mostly used earbuds), and build quality is also very important to me (I've broken a crapload of cheap (and more expensive) IEMs, earbuds, headphones, etc.).

Thanks,
Matthew

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 2
Gemini HSR-1000, $50 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back