Good outer-ear alternatives for the Sony MDRE828LP?
Aug 2, 2015 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BlackGuyRX

New Head-Fier
The Sony MDR-E828LP Fontopia headphones were my jam for about a decade, however, they were since discontinued and the eBay scalpers have been raising their prices on what little stock there is left, and Sony's current replacements (I think MDRE9LP) completely suck. On top of that, the right-side of my last pair died a few days ago. I'm not very technical in this field, but there was just something indescribable about them that sounded so amazing compared to other cheap earbuds of the time, especially when listening to chiptune music. It might have something to do with the design of the speaker holes in pic-related- http://www.soomal.com/images/doc/20100701/00006155_01.jpg
- I've never seen any other earbuds made like that. I could never get used to the inner-ear based buds and don't need too much isolation mostly due to my job.

I bought some cheap JVC HA-ECX20-B yesterday to tide me over, and at this point I've come to the conclusion that I still really hate inner-ear earbuds or I'm screwing up royally in finding something great. Maybe I'm more just used to the outer-ear variety, but there's something about the inner-ear ones that drive me up a wall, mostly because of this weird audible pressure, whatever the hell it's actually called, that I get anytime i move my head around. It really gets in the way of enjoying my music, especially when I'm out running.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Check out the Venture Electronics VE Monk Plus. It's a nice earbud (sits at the opening of the auditory canal, not inside it). It might work for you. It sounds good. Buy two and save one pair for a rainy day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back