Good, open headphone for use with computer? (gaming and movies)
Feb 20, 2005 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ender Wiggin

Head-Fier
I'd like a nice pair of headphones to use with my laptop or desktop computer for watching movies and playing games, and also listening to a little bit of music. Open would be preferable because I can still hear what's going on around me at LAN parties, and according to the people here I guess it's better sound for the price. I'm looking at a price range of about $100 or lower.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 12
I have taken a liking to the MS-1's I got yesterday in the mail. Overall, its pretty good for gaming, although I have less directional perception of where the guy is when I am playing a game like Counter-Strike. The sound of the MS-1's are great. It feels like the music is in your face. There is also the Sennheiser HD555 which I heard was pretty good. The bad thing I have heard the HD555 is that some people say its too "boring" for them because of its more laid back, neutral sound which may vary on your type of music.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 12
HD555

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 12
I saw a couple used ones on eBay. I also saw someone here selling his HD555's.

[Edit] 120ohms isn't that hard to drive by the way. Team3d (One of the worlds top CS Teams) seems to have no problem driving their HD600's to decent levels on their computers. [/Edit]

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 12
HD555 i've seen for ~$100 and there is a 120ohm and a 50ohm version... naturally the 50ohm version would be easier to drive

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 12
I wouldn't go MS1's for gaming. They are not too comfortable for more than an hour, and they have very little sound stage. I use the HD 580's amped for my gaming, and they are great. You can find them used for around $120, or so. Unamped they will have a better sound stage and better quality than anything you've heard before (though people are going to go crazy at the mere thought of using them unamped) Amped, IMO they are better than just about any combo until your willing to shell out the cash for CD3ks. They are open, and SUPER comfortable.

Good luck,

Mark

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 12
I really don't want to have to buy an amp in addition to $120 headphones, which are already $20 more than I want to spend...I will consider them though, but what are some good options under $100?

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I know some people will hate me for saying this, but for lanning, extended comfort, and directional reproduction, the HD570s aren't that bad. Yes I know that they are hard to drive, but they don't do TOO bad a job from a sound card. If you could stretch your wallet, I've heard the HD590s are much better. But you just can't beat those two in terms of extended comfort IMHO. And also, when you've been gaming for hours on end, you are going to be more concerned about how comfy they are compared to how well the footsteps of your enemy sound
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 12
i have ms-1s and i was using them for CS a little bit but gave up in the end. Comfort is not a problem at all (for me anyway), the real problem is soundstage and the apparent direction of sounds.

I found them to be way off...as in, you hear footsteps which sound like they are behind you when infact they are actually coming from the right side... you get the picture...

In my opinion, I really dont think they are good gaming headphones.

Ive got no suggestions though, as im currently using the stock buds i got with my mp3 player
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 12
I'd recommend to check the Creative HQ-1300 (aka Labtec Elite 840) - a surprisingly good and efficient phone for ~ 25 Euro over here. Comfort also seems fairly good to me, but people with big ears might run into a problem...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back