Good, open cans, easy to drive, do they exist?
Sep 29, 2017 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AbsolutZeroGI

New Head-Fier
I have spent a good portion of 2016 demoing tons of different headphones. They've mostly been open because closed cans generally don't have objectively cooler (temp wise) velour pads and I can't do leather for 8+ hours a day. My brain just fries.

So, here's what I've tried and why I didn't end up keeping them:

K7xx, Sennheiser HD600/650
I loved the sound of all of these, but having an amp sucks. Especially if I'm walking around the house with them. The lightweight and comfort were top notch, but carrying around 2 extra cables and a second device (with my phone) was tedious and awful. Plus the k7xx has those elastic support things and I have zero faith in the longevity of anything elastic.

Fidelio X2
Heavy. Especially for 8+ hours. Otherwise extremely comfortable and built like a tank.

Sennheiser HD5xx (most of them)
I currently keep the 558s. I've tried the 579s, 599s, 598s, and 569s. All too incremental of an upgrade for their price range.

I'm worried about trying the open audio technicas because I've heard they're very bass light and treble heavy. I don't want slamming bass, but I would like a little yknow? I'm also scared to thy the hifiman 400S because I've heard they're quite sibilant unless you put giant leather pads in them. Something like the Shure 1540s are compelling, but I've heard they don't sound great either.

I'm kinda stumped here. I know I'm being picky, but when we're talking about thousands of hours of use per year, it's hard not to be.

So I'd like to hear some suggestions if that's okay with everyone. :)

Preferences:
1. Relatively lightweight (preferably under 300 grams, but up to 350 can work once I get used to it)
2. Velour pads (or if you know a leather padded headphone that doesn't feel like Death Valley in July after 3 hours lol).
3. Under $350.
4. That have better imaging and clarity than the 558s.
5. No amp needed.

I really like the 558s. However, I listen to tons of different kinds of music and the 558s just can't keep up. Metal gets a little mushy because they're slow. Rock and harsh music gets a little out of control. They're great for classical stuff, though. I can use them with just my soundcard and phone. They fit the bill, but if I can get away with something that doesn't struggle to play the fast stuff, I'd like to try it. Most of the 5xx series has that problem too. A little slow for super fast and intense music.

Again, any suggestions are appreciated. I'm at my wit's end with this search lol.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 28
AudioQuest NightHawks!
Many people claim that these headphones are one of, if not THE most comfortable headphones they have worn.
No AMP required either.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 28
I'd try the Hifiman 400S anyway! I've heard the 400i is the more treble-y one and the S is more laid back and easier to drive. Worth a shot! I was going to recommend the 598 because it's outrageously comfy and sounds very pleasing, but you already mentioned that it's expensive for the small increase in performance over the lower models.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #6 of 28
I have spent a good portion of 2016 demoing tons of different headphones. They've mostly been open because closed cans generally don't have objectively cooler (temp wise) velour pads and I can't do leather for 8+ hours a day. My brain just fries.

Not a lot to be done about that unless you lower the ambient temp enough for them to basically be warming ear muffs.

Plus the k7xx has those elastic support things and I have zero faith in the longevity of anything elastic.

They last long enough unless subjected to certain atmospheric issues - like very low humidity or temp shifts. Otherwise the good thing about AKG, Sennheiser, Grado, and Beyerdynamic is that you can get replacement parts. They just vary in product support for this. Grado doesn't have it officially but they've sent me replacement gimbals free of charge (had to use our US address to keep shipping free too, but relatives and friends shuttle back and forth across the Pacific so I don't have to wait until I fly in or have my brother ship it to me). Sennheiser had it so build into their system that some guy managed to reproduce an out of production headphone by ordering the parts (it helped that the main headband frame is the same as the HD580/6xx series).

I'm worried about trying the open audio technicas because I've heard they're very bass light and treble heavy. I don't want slamming bass, but I would like a little yknow? I'm also scared to thy the hifiman 400S because I've heard they're quite sibilant unless you put giant leather pads in them. Something like the Shure 1540s are compelling, but I've heard they don't sound great either.

It'll be easier to cut the sibilance on the HiFiMan with EQ than boosting bass on the AT's, especially when you're not using a lot of power nor very high damping factor to drive them.

I'm kinda stumped here. I know I'm being picky, but when we're talking about thousands of hours of use per year, it's hard not to be.

So I'd like to hear some suggestions if that's okay with everyone. :)

Preferences:
1. Relatively lightweight (preferably under 300 grams, but up to 350 can work once I get used to it)
2. Velour pads (or if you know a leather padded headphone that doesn't feel like Death Valley in July after 3 hours lol).
3. Under $350.
4. That have better imaging and clarity than the 558s.
5. No amp needed.

Sacrifice the imaging (you're moving around anyway, so your attention will be on something else) and you can look into the Grado SR125e (do the sock mod and it will feel like velour; bend the headband like the current HiFiMan headband shape to reduce pressure on the top of the earlobes) and Philips SHP9500S (when the earpads wear out replace them with Brainwavz HM5 earpads; try the angled velour as they might help imaging a bit).

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 28
I in no way find the 400S sibilant at all with the original pads. The bass is a bit better with the Focus A pads and it does decrease the treble a bit but they are not hot as the face of the pad is velour and the sides are leather. I find the 400S to be just a bit brighter than the HD-650(6xx's in my case) but not by much and I find them very comfy.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 28
The HE400S is not sibilant or bright, not sure where you got that information. The HE400i is the brighter of the two--I have both-- (but it requires an amp). Overall, though, the HE350 is the one that most tends toward the sibilant IMO. Read some reviews. Definitely worth thoroughly exploring before you buy if you don't like bright headphones.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 28
Hd700 150ohm - easy to power. Acquired taste though

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 28
Very likely a review written by somebody with hyperacusis.
It was just what I'd heard reading around. That they were a touch bright unless you put certain pads on them.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 28
If the other pads compress more (ie he has a bigger head) it can also bring the drivers closer to his ear canals, making them brighter.

That makes sense. I have a relatively smaller head. Do you need an amp to power them?

Oct 1, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 28
That makes sense. I have a relatively smaller head. Do you need an amp to power them?

Can you get them to ear splitting levels with an iPad or a laptop? Yes.

Do you want a clear, ie, low distortion and noise, and "dynamic" presentation of the music at higher than quiet casual listening levels? Then get a good amp.

That doesn't mean blow a small fortune on the amp. Something like a Schiit Vali2, Asgard2, or Meier Jazz would be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back