Good online place to buy Marantz Receiver
May 30, 2002 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hongman

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting into the component thing starting this summer, and I was looking at Marantz for my choice of receiver. The thing is, I can't seem to find that many places that carry the Marantz line. I did find a few on www.hifi.com which looked nice, especially the new 4200 model, but I was hoping to find better prices and selection elsewhere.

Are there any nice online places, or B&M (in the bay area) that carry Marantz? Any recommendations for a nice lowend A/V receiver that can do 5.1/DTS/Pro Logic II, and yet sounds good for two speaker music and all this for $400 or less?

Thanks,

Chris

May 30, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 5
May 31, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 5
I have SR-5200 (one model up) and that's what I'd recommend if you don't have much money (as I didn't after buying speakers). 5200 has more decoding features than 4200 (DTS-ES?), and it also has metal frontplate (I don't know about 4200). On the other hand, higher models than 5200 usually have more power and better remote but are not different otherwise (until you get into high end of course). I am very happy with mine. The sound is very neutral (not colored) and that's what I want the most from an amp.

Jun 1, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I paid my SR5200 about $700 Canadian plus tax, that's about $450 US, in brick & mortar after some haggling.

I've opened it at the time to look inside, there are lot of things that could be improved (e.g. input switching is done through a chip, cheap omaps are used, cheap CS4392 DAC chip is used - this is the weakest point of the receiver, its DAC), but it does have discrete output stage and the end result is neutral sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back