Good Onboard Audio VS Audio Card & Amp
Jun 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 26
The G1's use the DRV632 which is a line-driver, not a real headphones amplifier......Like I said, "matching impedance."

According to this test and review http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_z87_g1_sniper_5_review_motherboard,4.html

the G1.Sniper 5 board is supplied with two interchangeable opamps:

A built-in headphone amplifier allows you to use studio-grade headgear and get the most amazing sound quality out of your gaming PC. The two gold and green capacitors are actually Nichicon High-End Audio Capacitors. And see the little chip above the two gold colored Nichicon Audio Capacitors? That's the spot for the upgradable OP-AMP...

You'll even receive two OPAMPs, one is installed (Burr-Brown OPA2134PA for a more neutral sound with clean sharp out looking of full frequency range. An expensive OPAMP that is suitable for all music types) and you can change it out with a supplied LM4562NA OPAMP that gives you that is offering more clear and bright sound with softness of touching. Suitable for pop music and small orchestras. Gigabyte will also offer an OPAMD upgrade kit with three other OPAMPs (BB OPA2111KP, LT1358CN8 and AD827JNZ). What a terrific audio offering, that's just brilliant stuff.

Gigabyte's website doesn't describe the specific opamps (maybe it's different in different markets) but the guru3d reviewer has hands-on experience so seems like a reasonably good source of information.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #19 of 26
From what I saw both the onboard for the MB and the STX say "up to 600 OHm" so how do you know how low the MB impudence is?

Okay, now, how will the MB do with say, 598s?

I don't know if I'm understanding correctly. So someone is telling me that gigabyte made a MB with high audio quality in mind, but only headphones with a rating of ~600 OHm will sound good on it? Sounds a bit ridiculous to me.
Will interchangeable OP amps mean I will have one that better fits a 50 OHm pair of headphones?

And if this boards audio is not a good for for the HD 598 or 558, what headphones will be a good fit for under $200 and will have comparable sound to the 598/558s?

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 26
So someone is telling me that gigabyte made a MB with high audio quality in mind, but only headphones with a rating of ~600 OHm will sound good on it? Sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

The person telling you that the board is unsuitable clearly assumed, mistakenly, that the board has no headphone amp. It certainly does. It has a well thought out and high quality headphone implemention and will almost certainly be completely satisfactory. I wouldn't worry about it at all, nor even begin to consider spending more money on more equipment which you don't need, all on the basis of someone's misreading of the specs.

The different opamps are exchangeable so you can change the tonal nature of the headphone output. Some people will like an uncoloured or neutral sound, some will like a warmer sound and so on. This is all quite a luxury and not some wonky workaround for a non-existent impedance issue.

If you announced on head-fi that you had just taken delivery of golden chariot with diamond encrusted wheels, pulled by a pair winged horses, someone would appear and tell you that you have the wrong type of diamonds, platinum is the better material than gold in this case and anyway you don't have enough horses. Theirs also has a mini-bar.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 26
No, we were referencing that Gigabyte board who's opamp does not support below 600 because it is a line-driver, really meant for 10kOhm loads. But iirc others have already posted that this combo (Xonar and HD series) doesnt sound good.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #22 of 26
But that's not the board being purchased and doesn't even have the same components or even a remotely similar audio specification. Using it to assert deficiencies and put doubt into the mind of the purchaser is incredibly confusing and unhelpful.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
According to this test and review http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_z87_g1_sniper_5_review_motherboard,4.html

the G1.Sniper 5 board is supplied with two interchangeable opamps:
Gigabyte's website doesn't describe the specific opamps (maybe it's different in different markets) but the guru3d reviewer has hands-on experience so seems like a reasonably good source of information.

Well, I didn't see anywhere in that write-up that headphones were used, in fact I don't even recall reading if any speakers at all were used which makes me feel like any claims about the quality of the audio on that board were dubious coming from that author.  Not that it doesn't have high-quality sound, but there was nothing I saw in that article that even elaborated on why it had good sound or in what area, music, gaming, what-have-you.  Kinda generic, that read, but it did mention OpAmps available for that board.  I checked the datasheets on the DRV632 on the board and it's minimum load is, again 600-Ohms.  And concerning the changable OpAmps after the DRV632, the LM4562 datasheet also yields loads of 600-Ohms or higher, upwards of 2000-Ohms and higher in fact.

Quote:
But that's not the board being purchased and doesn't even have the same components or even a remotely similar audio specification. Using it to assert deficiencies and put doubt into the mind of the purchaser is incredibly confusing and unhelpful.

Isn't that the board he started the thread about?  Did you read the whole thread?  He didn't mention the Xonar till later.  I've already read one or two threads from users who ran the Xonar with the same headphones and weren't happy, however given the information I just read about the STX, and it's massive ability to adjust the voltage gain, said users probably didn't set the card correctly and missed out.

So the Xonar could be a good companion for those headphones, but I have doubts about the Gigabyte's on-board hardware being well matched.

I don't know why you say I am "asserting deficiencies," I'm pointing out mismatches in hopes he will be more aware of what he is buying and why he should buy it.  I think you're the one who caused confusion.  You're very quick to act as if I don't know how to read a datasheet, claiming the issues I'm bringing up are non-existent, but I don't see you offering proof as to why it should work.  Honestly, just be professional and provide reasons for WHY it should be a non-issue, even your own experiences with said combinations if you have any, but don't clown on my cautioning him or act as if I should be ignored when you don't provide any real reasons of your own.  It's not nice to slander another user simply because you disagree with them for reasons you don't even make known.

Aren't you the one who said, "I would be looking for some proper tests (measurements not just opinions) and some actual user reports."  Well, you haven't provided any first-hand experience, only  your opinion that because it's such an expensive board which has had such immense effort put into it's audio quality (and yet it has polarized, electrolytic bypass caps, which aren't themselves bypassed by films... please, lol  I love computer audio, but your idea of what makes high-resolution sound seems more like the glorified paragraphs of a marketing brochure) followed by your opinion that my opinion is unrealistic.  Look, I do a lot of component-level parts swapping on sound-cards and other hardware, and I've used say 24-Ohm headphones on OpAmps that werne't meant to run that sort of load and it sounded okay, but after using them on a proper amplifier they sounded much better.  But I never used a setup that was mismatched so far as a difference of hundreds or thousands of Ohms which is why I am wary of this combination the OP is mentioning.  That's all.  :p

I don't know why you're getting so worked up nor why you're pushing this particular motherboards audio in this way.  And make sure you don't confuse the typical view of very nice BurrBrown DAC's which simple OpAmps.  While it's neat that you can change the OpAmps to achieve different sound, they are still preceded by the TexasInstruments line-level driver IC's and Creative's processor; I imagine these are strikes against it in some peoples minds as "audiophile" grade equipment is concerned.

And High-Definition audio on a home-theater setup is not even close to the same thing as high-resolution audio on a music-listening rig, they are completely different worlds and usually push different topologies when it comes to hardware design.  I don't recall which the OP is looking for, but while the motherboard may have good audio, it doesn't mean it's matched well to those headphones.

Blah, it's late; good night!

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #24 of 26
The default opamp on the OP's Gigabyte board is OPA2134PA. That it can drive a 600 ohm headphone does not mean its is mismatched to 50 ohm Sennheiser HD558. Typical headphone amps based on OPA2134 series have headphone output impedance of 5 ohms. Where is the problem?

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #25 of 26
Well, you can google it and see that the manufacturer states the minimum load is 600-Ohms. Amplifiers based on this OpAmp that run low-impedance cans may be relying on additional circuitry to drive said cans. Perhaps there is such circuitry present on the Gigabyte board, but I haven't read such, yet.

Sorry if my cautioning his purchase bothers you.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #26 of 26
Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back