Good noise-cancelling phones? (not iems)
Nov 14, 2005 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Riordan

500+ Head-Fier
a friend of mine can't use iems because of a medical condition (some past ear infection) but needs extra isolation because of another medical condition (tinitus) combined with yet another condition (audiophilia mobilis).

so... closed phones don't provide enough isolation for him, he can't use iems... that leaves noise-cancellers.
he has already tried one sennheiser and akg model each (don't know which ones) and damned them because they don't cover his ears, hence only lower the outside noise floor a bit. the noise-cancelling phones of his choice are
TADA!
bose.

can that be? is there no way out for him?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Yup, what he said.
icon10.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 6
so their secret is to cancel outside noise by providing noise inside - instead of music?
biggrin.gif

thanks, guys... i guess there's no hope for him then
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi,
I've got both Bose QC2 and Sennheiser PXC-250. The Bose are more comfortable, cover your ears entirely, and are much less fiddly. I think they cancel more noise, but it's hard to be sure because the Senn's generate so much hiss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
so their secret is to cancel outside noise by providing noise inside - instead of music?
biggrin.gif

It's not quite that bad.
smily_headphones1.gif
Some level of hiss is a side-effect of the cancellation process, I think, but the Sennheiser hiss is much louder than the Bose hiss. OTOH, if your friend suffers from tinnitus, the hiss may or may not bother him. The Bose sound quality might, though.
wink.gif

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
...combined with yet another condition (audiophilia mobilis).

i hear there's a shot that'll clear that right up.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back