Good news - Xenos 0HA-RHP and 0HA-REP
Jun 4, 2006 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
The announced revision of the entry level Xenos 0HA-R is finally up on www.aptecpro.com . The "audiophile" EP version is a pleasant surprise! Prices range from $60 to $90 for just the amps.

0HA-RHP , with TI 5532 gain op-amp.
x0ha-RHP-inside.jpg

0HA-REP , with OPA2134 & a few other tweaks.
cool.gif

x0ha-REP-inside.jpg

A comparison table: http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...-R-Compare.htm

X0HA-Rxx-ACB-sml.jpg

Jun 4, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 30
The first thing that jumped to my eyes is the new output stage, now using integrated chips in place of the former discrete output stage. This is said to have given the amp a much higher output power and a more than halved power consumption. Harmonic distortion also seems slightly improved.

Jun 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 30
I WANT an 0HA-EP
580smile.gif

(heh... I'm a tiny amp junkie
tongue.gif
)

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 30
I think these are an awesome value period. Don't you?

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 30
BUMP
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 30
Are you a paid promoter? :p

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
Are you a paid promoter? :p

YES
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
YES
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

LOL. Isn't that supposed to be put in another forum? :p

It looks okay to me, but I don't know how much higher fi the OPA2134 is than the venerable 5532...especially in class A.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

LOL. Isn't that supposed to be put in another forum? :p

Yes, that for jokes LOL
wink.gif

Quote:

It looks okay to me, but I don't know how much higher fi the OPA2134 is than the venerable 5532...especially in class A.

The OPA2134 is also used in Headroom's "Desktop module" version 2006 to drive the "diamond buffer" output stage. It's not biased to class-A there too. It's in the "Home module" too, this time with class-A bias. So I guess it's hifi enough. Though I agree that the NE5532 too is definitely hifi enough (if used properly).

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 30
IMHO and from what my experience with the AD8397 has showed, these amps (especially the 0HA-EP) may very well better such amps as the Headroom Total Airhead and the PINT. Surely, still IMHO, they're better designed and engineered than PINTs, MINTs & co.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
IMHO and from what my experience with the AD8397 has showed, these amps (especially the 0HA-EP) may very well better such amps as the Headroom Total Airhead and the PINT. Surely, still IMHO, they're better designed and engineered than PINTs, MINTs & co.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not clear on how that's 'surely' true. I might agree on the MINT, but I'm not sure I could on the PINT, at least based on what I'm seeing here.

I know Headroom uses the OPA2134 in a lot of things. It's a good chip, but I'm just not sure it's *better* than the NE5532 in the sense that I'd call one standard grade and the other high grade, as suggested in these amps.

They look like they're probably a good contender in the budget market, though. Keep in mind that DIY projects like the PINT can use a variety of op-amps. I actually don't necessarily consider the AD8397 on L/R and Ground the highest fidelity configuration on the PINT...

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

I'm not clear on how that's 'surely' true.

Yup sorry, not that it is "sure" literally - anyway I should've explained a bit. I've had a Go-Vibe v4 with the AD8397 and didn't like the dry sounding midrange of this chip. My Shellbrook's standard Mini Head (OPA227 + HA5002) had a far more refined (rich, smooth, full & detailed) midrange. Lately a friend PMed me his impressions of the PINT with AD8397 on LR and LM6172 on G. His impressions about midrange quality echoed mine surprisingly well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 30
Xenos systems has given a detailed account of thier new portable amp now!

The Xenos 0HA-REP (X0HA-REP) Enhanced Performance Headphone Amplifier has split rail power supply with 9V battery with a built in 9V NiMH battery charger. Power supply features a high capacitance low ESR power supply input capacitor together with appropriate inductors filter out all external power supply noise.

Buffered Input Stage has op amp OPA2134 with low-noise 1% metal film resistors for the signal path. They have eliminated capacitors in the audio signal path to remove possibility of coloration and reactive effects.

The Buffer stage employs driver op amps (LMH6642) to power headphones. Each channel has a dedicated output driver op amp for enhanced stereo performance. The output drivers use a rail-to-rail configuration too.

Its enclosure includes an internal Aluminium metal screen to aid in the reduction of interferences.

It is a Small package measuring only 3.5” x 2.5” x 1” (about the size of a credit card).

It has Belt clip convenience.

X0-remove-beltc1-med.jpg

Xenos X0HA

Ultimately do we have a worthy contender to PA2V2? Has anyone tried this? If not for the Order I placed for Xin Supermini I would have jumped to grab one of these.

Please post, those who bought it, their experiances.

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 30
Thanks!

The LMH6642 is in fact a rail-to-rail chip, with 130 MHz bandwidth, 130 V/us slew rate, and most importantly, 75 mA linear output current.

I (continue to) think that the 0HA-EP should compete with any other portable below and around $200. I bet it's in a higher class of performance than the PA2V2 and even the LDM+. Only thing to be paid attention to the unusually high gain for head-fier standards
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 30
Also notable about these amps (the more so at this price point) is the use of a (third) high current op-amp for the supply rail splitter (exactly like in, say, the Hornet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back