Good neutral sounding portable amp for under 400$ ?
Jan 31, 2014 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Saint Henrik

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I'm planning to purchase my first portable amp in near future. Some info below

Budget: -400$
IEMS: Heir Audio 4.ai s (neutral sound signature)
Source: Sony Xperia S and Sony Walkman Z
What I'm looking from the amp: Neutral sound ...that's all i know to say.

Thanks in advance

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 5
Buying an amp for IEMs can be kind of tricky. What is the impedance and sensitivity of those 'phones? I'm guessing they are fairly low impedance and high sensitivity, so you will want an amp with a low gain to prevent hiss and you also need a very low output impedance to prevent clipping and noise issues. An old favorite for IEMs are the Ray Samuels amps - the Tomahawk or the Shadow.
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/tomahawk
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/shadow

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 5
OK - that's about what I assumed - It would not surprise me if you really don't need an amp and other than volume, you may not see much difference.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 5
OK - that's about what I assumed - It would not surprise me if you really don't need an amp and other than volume, you may not see much difference.

Yep. I'm also wondering the same even though some people say that amping improves the sound quite a lot for these iems but I dunno since the Walkman Z is quite powerful player already and it should be able to drive most iems in the market.

But anyway i'm gonna still consider buying that amp and those amps that you recommended looked very good quality on build and everything. I already went on and bought lod cable for Walkman.

I need to think about the price/benefit ratio tho as I think that cheap amp like Fiio e11 won't do much improvement so I would need to go with something more expensive if I'm right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back