Good Mp3 player?
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

catspaw

500+ Head-Fier

Hi guys, 

The reason im wrting is becouse im about to change to a new mp3/mp4/mvp player.

My old one (LG Jm-53) was a great quality player, but its bettery is now dieing after a 6 year use.

I have the sennheisers HD 380 Pro, and while i know that they sound better with a portable amp, i wont be using one.

3 days ago i bought the Samsung yp-q3 to 4gb version to see how good it would be, and i was really dissapointed by its audio quality. My 6-7 year old player has better sound quality, but i cant get a replacement cable for charging (spain).

Now, im looking for a good mp3 player, and i will spend up to 300 Euros if needed (but that will better be worth it :D).

Im not going to get any ipods. I simply have a special hate for apple :D. So i was looking for another option, and while seeing reviews i noticed i was far better asking here.

So, if possible, could you tell me what player is a good one? My priorities:

Sound quality

Volume

Size (thin over small, light over nice looking)

Battery

Video

types of buttons

resistance

As you can see i left a gap, thats becouse i dont care about the 3 things at the bottom almost at all.

My first guess was to get a creative x-fi, but i heard that the x-fi is simply worse than plain sound on that player so i was thinking an older version of a creative player (zen style 100 mayb).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i only have 2 more days to return the samsung mp3 player to the store before i have to keep this 60 E junk (well not junk, but id rather remmber a song on good quality than listen to this).

EDIT: after checking this forum for a few hours, i was considering a cowon i9. Due to its price, i was thinking its my best option. Anyone can tell me if the sound quality is better in the more expensive versions?

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 5
I will recommend these DAPs Sony X1060, S:Flo2, HM-602 and they sound clearly above average MP3 Players.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 5
you might also want to check out the up coming Fiio X3, only plays music but very impressive specs considering how cheap it is (A LOT lower than your prize range) I'm sure that the players ZARIM suggested is going to be better but saving 100 something euros sounds very tempting, at least to a high school student like me anyways 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528916/the-fiio-x3-thread-upcoming-fiio-dap

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 5
If the cowon i9 is what you are targeting then you will be settled by its sound quality, and a plethora of sound customization, most importantly as it is in your budget.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 5
I think you really can use the dedicated headphone amp of an S:Flo2 because you already said to not use an external amp. 

The sound quality is very good, it's a typical audiophile player with great hardware for a small price. 

A little downside is it's size and weight, it's pretty similar to a smartphone. But beside that I think everything else is worth it to at least consider it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back