Good monitor for 2k?
May 12, 2007 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

juzmister

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
I'm debating selling my L3000s (they really hurt my large ears lol). I'd love to buy a a set of nice monitors to replace them, can anyone recommend anything?
Justin

May 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 54
I recently went through the small speaker roundabout: so many picks, so many reviews, so many favorites. For me, the most illuminating recommendation was offered by a seller who was selling Aerial Model 7(a) two-way floorstanding speakers. He was resistant to selling me his pair (!) because he honestly didn't think the cost of shipping two 80 pound speakers by air could be justified, but he told me to contact owners at Audiogon of the Aerial 5a (and 5b) monitors -- for they have the same sonic signature as the Model 7s, only with diminished bass range (difference between monitors and floorstanders). I eventually got Model 7s from another dealer, but I'm so overwhelmed by how good they sound that I'm confident that the Aerial 5s are at least as good for stand-mounted monitor speakers.

Aerial 5A Review

Having said that, I recall that Headfier Insomniac was selling some Spendor S5e Spendor 2 ways (Link) and Grandenigma1 was selling Tyler Monitors (Link). It's good to support our member sellers whenever possible, and I am confident that both these pairs of speakers are stellar performers. Good luck!

May 12, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 54
I too have listened to the Aerial Model 7(B model I think) and the 5. It was quite a special circumstance. Because the listening room wasn't very big, the massive gear rack was partially blocking the front-facing bass port of the Model 7. As a result, the 5 actually sounded better! I'm under the impression that the 5 sells for just under $2k, but I don't quote me on that. (accompanying gear: Meridian G08, Mark Levinson No.383, Crystal Cable power/speaker cables and interconnects...)

I scheduled for another another listen, this time in another one of the dealer's more spacious show rooms using the same gear, but this time adding a Mimetism 15.2 integrated into the mix for comparison purposes. I must say the 7 really opened up. Anyway, the 5s are superb value for money considering how close they are to the 7s. They can also play loud.

If you have the opportunity, also give some of the ProAc standmounts a listen. They're very good
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 54
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think I'll have money left over for amps in the 2kish budget. Maybe some active speakers would fit the bill? I've heard good things about the JBL 6328s, any ideas?
Thanks,
Justin.

May 13, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think I'll have money left over for amps in the 2kish budget. Maybe some active speakers would fit the bill? I've heard good things about the JBL 6328s, any ideas?
Thanks,
Justin.

If you get some solid ideas about which pieces of equipment you're interested in, go have a look at Audiogon (search) and you'll find that many people are willing to ship to you in Australia -- or are, indeed, selling their equipment there.

I haven't really heard anything particularly good about recent JBL speakers, that doesn't necessarily mean anything in itself (though I've heard about a lot of speakers). Do a search for reviews online. If you're looking for some kind of home theatre setup, that may involve different choices than the dual channel classic stereo I'm into. YMMV

May 13, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 54
I'm looking for a classic stereo system, but cannot afford good amplification if i buy the Aerials. Can you think of a good bookshelf system for 2k including amps?

May 13, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 54
JBL is my favourite non-UK brand for speakers. So much so that I nearly bought a set of E90 last month. I eventually settled for the B&W 603 after hitting the Confirm Bid button on eBay at the right time and snapped up a cracking deal.
JBL speakers are loud, lots of bass, and highly suitable for modern day music. Falls down on classical though.
The B&W 603 and Wharfedale EVO 30 are my favourite standing monitors. Vocal response is very accurate and natural. Bass is very much uncoloured but solid and deep. You do need a power amp with high current capability though to get the best out of them. Both have accurate sounding tweeters. So no sharp distorted edgy sounds. They are equally adaptable to WAVE and PM3 playback.

May 13, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JBL is my favourite non-UK brand for speakers. So much so that I nearly bought a set of E90 last month. I eventually settled for the B&W 603 after hitting the Confirm Bid button on eBay at the right time and snapped up a cracking deal.
JBL speakers are loud, lots of bass, and highly suitable for modern day music. Falls down on classical though.
The B&W 603 and Wharfedale EVO 30 are my favourite standing monitors. Vocal response is very accurate and natural. Bass is very much uncoloured but solid and deep. You do need a power amp with high current capability though to get the best out of them. Both have accurate sounding tweeters. So no sharp distorted edgy sounds. They are equally adaptable to WAVE and PM3 playback.

Sounds pretty good to me, I don't think they have a dealer in Australia though...Have you heard much about the Blue Sky SAT 6.5s?

May 13, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
these look pretty good...http://www.thehornshoppe.com/...
Justin

Those can be built for less than $200.
And beat for less.

May 13, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 54
monitors have flat output EQ's good luck tuning yourself a crossover for that.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR4328Ppak/

im going to recommend you these. $1400, but they have room mode correction. or if you have a room set up correctly for monitors. you can turn the RMC off, and even then, i have never heard a more pristine sound than that that comes from genelec's monitors. of course these are studio monitors, but their EXTREME accuracy makes it very easy to tune them for whatever it is your going to use them for.

or this system, built in DSP/crossover as well for even further monitoring accuracy, with the addition of a sub your in heaven

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX66/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX10Sub/

these are not anywheres near m-audios budget quality monitors, even their budget monitors sound amazing and are very accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back