Good midrange earphones.
Sep 9, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gamemako

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good set of mid-range earphones to go with the Creative Zen Vision: M I'm planning to buy (or if you have another MP3 player with comparable sound quality, I'm all ears
tongue.gif
). I'm neither rich nor dedicated enough to drop 350 bucks on a set of earphones, but I do prefer good sound quality. I would also like earplug-style canal phones (see: passive noise-cancelling), since I don't like loud music and the only way to avoid turning things up with the incessant background noise these days is to have something that silences the world.

Anyway, I did some research and found a few options around my price area (80-175 USD). I started with the Creative AURVANAs, which got surprisingly poor reviews. From there, I found links to these better options (in order of price):

Etymotic 6i Isolator
Shure E3c
Altec Lansing iM716
Ultimate Ear Super.fi 3 Studio
Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pro
Etymotic ER4
Shure E4c

Does anybody have any of these or have any advice regarding these or any other options? Remember, I'm not rich, so try to be gentle with my pocketbook.
wink.gif

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 10
I have the Super.Fi 3 Studio paired up with an iAudio X5L and various minidisc players and really love these things. If you like bass you need to get a good seal for it to give good bass. That is true for most canal phones. It is not the bloated bass of the sony EX71, but it is very nice. Mids are clear and highs are sparklin'.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Consider the Altec Lansing iM716 ...

I've had several Altec Lansing products in the past and I've been pretty satisfied with them. Seems this particular design was a joint venture of AL and Etymotic... interesting.

Good find. I'll add it to the list.

//EDIT: Also added Etymotic ER4s.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 10
From your list I have listened to the well all of them.
tongue.gif
My favorites are the ER4p and the E4. I didnt like the UE 5pro because it, imo, lacked mid range and less detailed. The Altecs are, imo again, very close to the ER4p but a little warmer sounding. Well between these three iems its a win win situation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 10
When you say midrange do you mean headphones in the mid-fi quality level or headphones with a stunning midrange sound? If it is the latter then I highly recommend the Shure E4c.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
When you say midrange do you mean headphones in the mid-fi quality level or headphones with a stunning midrange sound? If it is the latter then I highly recommend the Shure E4c.

That confused me as well. Midrange price or midrange on the audio spectrum. Westone UM1's have excellent midrange, are cheap (under $100) and have excellent passive noise cancellation. They have rolled off highs and no deep bass, but excellent mids. Plus, if you're going to stick something in your ear, it better be comfortable, and they are. BTW, I own both, but I love my UM2s.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Of the lot, the Etymotic ER4 are my favorite (I should note that I have not tried the Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pro and the Westone U2's ((see above)) are my next in-ear headphone purchase). If you purchase the Etymotic ER4, the "P" version is the one to buy for use without an amp.

What is your source material? If you are ripping at a lower bit rate (128 to 192), the Etymotic ER6i's are more than enough.

You note that passive noise cancellation is important to you. I take long plane flights twice a year. My favorite seat is on the leading edge of the wing. Lots of room, but rather noise. I put the Ety's in (I like the three rib earplugs) and I am good to go.

One negative with the Ety's, they are microphonic. If you bang the cord (particularly the E4's) you will hear a muffled bass noise in the speakers. If you use the clip and bring the cord around your ears, the microphonic tendencies are greatly mitigated.

If you like a little more color in your music - look at the Shure E4c (I do not like the fit of the Shure E5's I own ((I believe the E4's are smaller and may fit better)). For me the Ety's have the best fit and seal). The Ety's are microphonic, but the Shure's can have a low level hiss to them.

Last and most important, if you buy the Ety's you can end your posts with the Etysmile.
etysmile.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

Sorry, I was speaking of price range -- I'm not going to drop 400 bucks on a set of Shure E5s or something.

Also, as for my quality I keep things at 192 or above. I have a rather large library (70 gigs and counting) so some things (especially older things like an old Master of Puppets CD ripped at 128 -- what was I thinking?) aren't up to snuff but I'm working on replacing those. My goal is to eventually get everything at 224 CBR or higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back