Good microatx supplies?
Nov 22, 2004 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

patricklang

100+ Head-Fier
Any recommendations on quality microatx supplies? I'm convinced they don't exist, but I could be wrong...

I currently have some shoddy 150w that came with my $149 Fry's pc. It makes my Revo sound almost as bad as a c-media, lots of hiss and HF noise.

I currently have an extra Antec 400w in the closet, but would rather find something that I can fit in my case. Otherwise, I'd be better off buying an Antec Sonata...

Nov 23, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Check out the offerings from Fortron (or Sparkle, as they're rebranded Fortron products). They're a good brand, not up to the quality of the top players (PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, etc.) but they're considered to be the best value/budget PSUs. I think that Newegg carries their entire line.

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Indeed. I put one of these into a client's computer about a month ago. They had an HP with a very dead PS. The circuit board was brown and toasty
biggrin.gif
This worked like a charm, and has been dead stable, or so they've told me. And under $30 w/ shipping ain't bad for a microATX. I hit some local computer shops just to see how much they charged, and $70 was the usual.

Alternatively, if you need more power, there's this for about $50 w/ shipping. 270W Enermax. They're not too bad of a brand, but probably a rung below Fortron/Sparkle.

Nov 23, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 7
"Otherwise, I'd be better off buying an Antec Sonata..."

The Antec Aria is a small form factor(m-ATX) computer case with what is apparently a quality 200W power supply.

It can be very quiet as long as you don't install a lot of heat producing components (the rear exhaust / power supply fan spins up and becomes audible).

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 7
The Aria ships with a 300W Antec-built PSU.

The problem with that case is that it's *very* tight inside. It's not too bad if you're using relatively cool components, but you can't be like the guy I was talking to the other day, wanting to stick an LGA 3.6 Pressy into one of those. Bad idea.

And FWIW, Fortron/Sparkle is generally ranked right up there with the likes of PCP&C, OCZ, and Enermax as some of the strongest and most stable PSUs out there for overclocking. Don't know what they'd do to sound, but they are strong and I'd trust them a lot more than anything from Fry's...

Nov 24, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 7
Its not that I want to stay with mATX, I don't want to put much money into this system, I'm probably going to buy a Dell in a few months.

I think I'm going to see if I can manage a crappy case for $20 or less, and put that 400w antec in there.

Nov 25, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Check out the offerings from Fortron (or Sparkle, as they're rebranded Fortron products). They're a good brand, not up to the quality of the top players (PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, etc.) but they're considered to be the best value/budget PSUs. I think that Newegg carries their entire line.

agreed, and the fortron 550watt EPS psu is obviously not quite at PCP&C standards but i think its better than most of the other stuff out there... the 550 is obviously not mATX just thought i would point that out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back