Good MD Recorder + Mic for Recording Live Vocals
Dec 22, 2005 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Manveer

Head-Fier
I was searching the forums trying to find the current favorite MD recorder, but my search was somewhat inconclusive, as I only found a thread on the Sony MZ-RH910 as the only MD recorder still in production. It seems that MD recorders aren't so popular anymore.

Anyhow, this will be for my girlfriend, who wants to make some better quality digital recordings. She will be singing Opera.

Also, to go with this MD recorder, what would be a good microphone? I've seen recommendations for the Shure SM58?

Looking to spend $150-200 on the mic and $200-300 on the MD recorder. If the returns diminish greatly past a certain price point, it would be good to know where that point is as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Well minidisco.com is having some good sales on Hi-MD equipment. There are more than just the RH910...

There is an outfit out of Canada that is also selling a Hi-MD/mic package that is within your budget. I'll see if I can find the link. Most likely I'll post tomorrow.

Dec 23, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 11
The MZ-RH10 is the other current Hi-MD recorder with a microphone input. There are also some non Hi-MD recorders, which don't offer PC uploading, and some without microphone inputs which wouldn't be suitable.

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Hehe, I was wondering when you guys would pop out of the woodwork,
biggrin.gif

Not the model you mentioned but definitely a good deal on this bundle:

http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopexd.asp?id=677

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 11
that one's pretty good, but its a 1st gen hi-md, so it only plays atrac files natively, not mp3. the second gen ones (dh10, rh10, rh910) play mp3 normally.

if you get a first gen hi-md recorder, be sure to download an updated version of the sonicstage software. the software that shipped with the recorders didn't allow for uploading and conversion of recordings, but the problem was fixed in later versions of the software.

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Seroka2 said:
that one's pretty good, but its a 1st gen hi-md, so it only plays atrac files natively, not mp3. the second gen ones (dh10, rh10, rh910) play mp3 normally.
QUOTE]

Would you want to play mp3 natively with the sound quality issues the 2nd gen units have with it?
eek.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 11
I ended up going with the RH910 and the Shure Beta 58A, just in case anyone searches for this in the future. Should be a pretty decent sounding combination.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 4, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 11
My personal favourite for live recording was my old Sharp MT831, but I've been told the DR7 is even better for live recording (I haven't gotten a chance to test a DR7 in live recording conditions, so I don't know personally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back