GOOD Jazz recommendations
Jul 7, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #77 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly

Milestones, your recommedations are right on the money and your listening tastes just floor me. You are deep into it. I don't know if you are a musician or not but this reminds me that in jazz there are listeners who are every bit as hip as the players.

Brian:

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm not a musician - just a big fan of the music. Your observation that I am "deep into it" is correct both in a spiritual sense and also, unfortunately, in a financial one
wink.gif
(jazz can be an expensive hobby).

I'm sure my knowledge pales next to a musician like yourself. I'm just glad if I can help turn some folks here at Head-fi on to the music which has given me so much emotional and intellectual satisfaction over the years.

Thanks again for the compliment and also for your contributions to this thread.

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #78 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
In a completely un-related story, Happy BD Milestones. Thanks for contributing to all the discussions here.

BenG:

Thanks for the happy B-day and also for your contributions to the jazz discussions here recently. I've enjoyed the discussions with the other "jazzers" like you here at Head-fi the past several months.

I had a pretty good birthday. I had a chance to listen to the following over the course of the holiday weekend:

AALY Trio (w/Ken Vandermark) - "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe"

Hank Mobley - the "Curtain Call" and "Poppin" LPs from the "Complete 1950's Blue Note Recordings" Mosaic box set

Gary Bartz - "There Goes the Neighborhood" (an excellent live recording from Birdland on the Candid label with Kenny Barron on piano - this is unfortunately out of print at the moment)

William Parker - "The Peach Orchard"

A fine weekend of diverse jazz listening pleasures......

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #79 of 118
I know this thread has been all over the map discussing jazz. That being said I wanted to chime in with a small list of some of my favorite songs. This comes from a CD mix that I burned recently. What I wanted was a mix full of indispensable songs that I would need if I ever lucked out by ending up stranded on an island with Ginger and Mary Ann.

Here goes:

1) Stolen moments, Oliver Nelson
2) Song for my Father, Horace Silver
3) Maiden Voyage, Herbie Hancock
4) Delilah, Clifford Brown & Max Roach
5) Poinciana, Ahmad Jamal
6) Gloria's Step, Bill Evans Trio
7) Sweet Rain, Stan Getz
8) Lonely Woman, Horace Silver
9) Aos Pes Da Cruz, Miles Davis
10) Soul Eyes, John Coltrane

Has anyone else burned such a mix? What did you put on it?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #80 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones

AALY Trio (w/Ken Vandermark) - "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe"

Hank Mobley - the "Curtain Call" and "Poppin" LPs from the "Complete 1950's Blue Note Recordings" Mosaic box set

Gary Bartz - "There Goes the Neighborhood" (an excellent live recording from Birdland on the Candid label with Kenny Barron on piano - this is unfortunately out of print at the moment)

William Parker - "The Peach Orchard"

A fine weekend of diverse jazz listening pleasures......

Milestones,

Have you heard the new AALY/DKV CD entitled "Double or Nothing?" There's a great version of Don Cherry's "Awake Nu" that's worth the price of the CD. The other two cuts on the CD are good, although overall I prefer "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe."

Speaking of William Parker, have you heard the new William Parker & The Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra -
Raincoat in the River/Vol. 1/ICA Concert (Eremite 036)?

Also, I hope that since it was your birthday you also celebrated it with some Louis Armstrong, whose birthday, at least as he believed, was July 4.

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #81 of 118
Milestones,

Thanks for the kind words. You are definite proof of the quality and credibility of many "listeners only" in the field of jazz. Please keep in touch. Email me if you'd like. I am very intrested in knowing how you got so deep into jazz as a listener.

I hate to sound so stupid but who is AALY?

Kroonsteen , your list is also wonderful. For some reason I do not know the Miles Davis number. At least I don't think I do.

Best
Brian

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:04 AM Post #82 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

Milestones,

Have you heard the new AALY/DKV CD entitled "Double or Nothing?" There's a great version of Don Cherry's "Awake Nu" that's worth the price of the CD. The other two cuts on the CD are good, although overall I prefer "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe."

Speaking of William Parker, have you heard the new William Parker & The Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra -
Raincoat in the River/Vol. 1/ICA Concert (Eremite 036)?

Also, I hope that since it was your birthday you also celebrated it with some Louis Armstrong, whose birthday, at least as he believed, was July 4.

I have not heard "Double or Nothing" yet - but it is definitely near the top of my "to get" list.

I love William Parker but I'm not a big fan of large jazz ensembles - especially not with free/avant material.

I did not listen to any Pops this 4th of July - but I consider the "Hot Fives and Sevens" to be some of the best music in my collection.

I believe recent jazz writers/researchers have pretty thoroughly disproven the born on the 4th of July myth - it would make a nice story if true though.

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #83 of 118
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
Milestones,

Thanks for the kind words. You are definite proof of the quality and credibility of many "listeners only" in the field of jazz. Please keep in touch. Email me if you'd like. I am very intrested in knowing how you got so deep into jazz as a listener.

I hate to sound so stupid but who is AALY?

Kroonsteen , your list is also wonderful. For some reason I do not know the Miles Davis number. At least I don't think I do.

Best
Brian

Brian:

AALY is a Swedish free "energy" jazz trio with Mats Gustafsson on sax, Peter Janson on bass, Kjell Nordeson on drums, and usually supplemented with Ken Vandermark as well (although the still call themselves a trio).

They have a couple of great live albums "Stumble" and the aforementioned "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe" on the Wobbly Rail label. Wobbly Rail is a small independent avant-garde/free jazz and improvised music label located in Chapel Hill, NC.

They are definitely worth checking out if you like contemporary free jazz at all.

I'm not familiar with the Miles davis tune listed by Kroonsteen either.

Its great to have civil, interesting, and knowledgeable folks like yourself to interact with in this forum.

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #84 of 118
Quote:

I did not listen to any Pops this 4th of July - but I consider the "Hot Fives and Sevens" to be some of the best music in my collection.

I believe recent jazz writers/researchers have pretty thoroughly disproven the born on the 4th of July myth - it would make a nice story if true though.

Which Hot Fives and Sevens do you own? The best reissue, IMHO, is the JSP set. Better sound that the recent Columbia reissue, or any other reissue, both CD/LP.

While Pops was really born in August, who better than him to have two birthdays every year?

Jul 9, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #85 of 118
I have the JSP set as well. I already had the JSP set when the new deluxe Columbia set came out and from what I heard about it from others it was not worth switching from the JSP set.

John R.T. Davies does a better job of remastering classic jazz material than anybody I know of. The JSP set is quite a bargain as well. I believe I paid about $20.00 for my "Complete Hot Fives and Sevens" set from an online vendor.

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #86 of 118
Quote:

I have the JSP set as well. I already had the JSP set when the new deluxe Columbia set came out and from what I heard about it from others it was not worth switching from the JSP set.

John R.T. Davies does a better job of remastering classic jazz material than anybody I know of. The JSP set is quite a bargain as well. I believe I paid about $20.00 for my "Complete Hot Fives and Sevens" set from an online vendor.

You're right--it was not worth switching from the JSP box to the Columbia. The packaging on the Columbia is terrible--the sleeve where you store the Cds has glue in it, and it comes off on the CDs when you store them. The JSP is lower priced, too (I paid $22 for mine, $45 for the Columbia). If you're getting into this influential and wonderful music for the first time, pick up the JSP set.

If anyone finds something that was remastered by John R.T. Davies, pick it up--he's a giant in the remastering field.

Jul 10, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #87 of 118
Quote:

The Miles Davis number - Aos Pes Da Cruz - comes from the CD Quiet Nights - (the fourth studio collaboration between Miles Davis and Gil Evans). Although, I personally love the CD, I was surprised to learn that Miles was very disappointed in it. It was recorded right after the death of Miles's Dad. It would not surprise me that a bit of sadness seeped into this recording and maybe, somehow, Miles resents that. The tunes are mostly Brazilian (it was recorded during the bossa nova boom of the 60's). Highly recommended!

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #88 of 118
Kroonstein,

Believe it or no I haven't tried to listen to that particular record in twenty-five years. At that time I didn't much care for it but I'm not much into latin/bossa stuff. A little goes a long ways with me generally. However, on your recomendation I will listen to it again.

Keep up the good work.

Jul 20, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #89 of 118
I just burned a second mix of my personal Jazz favorites - same criteria: on island with Ginger and Mary Ann.

1) Astral Traveling, Pharoah Sanders
2) Humpty Dumpty, Chick Corea
3) Norwegian Wood, Herbie Hancock
4) Perdido, Dr. John
5) Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs, Gary Burton
6) Milano Strut, David Murray
7) Barakaat, Abdullah Ibrahim
8) Portia, Miles Davis
9) Moon & Sand, Chet Baker
10) Hang Gliding, Maria Schneider Orchestra

BTW: I wanted to remind everyone about a great radio show about Miles Davis that's coming up - follow this link to my previous post on the subject (it's about halfway down the page). NPR's Jazz Profiles will be airing a repeat performance of Miles Davis: Miles' Styles. Follow this link to find out Where to Tune In in your local area.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #90 of 118
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I saw Ken Burns Jazz being recommended a lot on the first page. I felt I had to share my experience with one of his cds (not the dvd documentary.) I bought the cd that represented Diz. It was the second worst jazz cd that I ever bought in my life. The mastering and cuts they chose for that cd were truly horrible. Terrible terrible sound, loud hiss everywhere, sibilance abounds. Avoid it like the plague. I don't know about the other cds for the other artists in the ken burns series, but this is not a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back