Good, jamming jazz? Like the Beastie Boys The In Sound from Way Out!
Dec 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
The wife and I both like the instrumental, beat oriented style of that album. I am looking for more music like it but am at a loss even where to begin. Any ideas?

Dec 14, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 29
Check out Dennis Coffey.
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jimmy McGriff.
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Red Holt unlimited.

There's a start.

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 29
I think both of you would like Jimmy Smith & Richard "Groove" Holmes. Both are admittedly big influences to the Beasties instrumental vibe. I'm into that stuff too, I'm sure the two of you have their lastest release The Mix Up (2007)? It's all instrumental w/ that kind of jazz-funk groove you like. Also, I've recently discovered & gotten into Medeski Martin & Wood. They're like my favorite at the moment, so check em' out when you get the chance.
Good Luck & Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 29
Lou Donaldson

Alligator Bogaloo - "One Cylinder" is ridiculously smooth and groovy. (George Benson and Idris Muhammad are on the album, though at the time Idris' name was "Leo Morris")

The Scorpion: Live At The Cadillac Club

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 29
Anything new and similar? Jamming instrumental jazz is one of my favorites. Just really ignorant in the genre.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 29
Check out Tommy Guerero. Funky instrumentals similar to the Beastie Boys "in Sound From Way Out".

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 29
I got Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood, Out Louder today.

Dig the organ. Very damn tight and funky!

Nice. Nice. I will try and get more. I bought three cds for my in-laws for the holidays and could only get myself one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back