Good isolation / noise-cancelling for < $125?
Dec 8, 2007 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TechGecko

New Head-Fier
I listen to music on my computer, which is literally right next to a tv that's usually being watched.

Can someone recommend a pair of headphones with really good isolation or noise-cancelling capabilities for ~$125 to block out the sound? Even that price is stretching my budget, but I'm trying to be flexible/realistic. (If something really good is just outside my price range, feel free to let me know, but a 2nd recommendation within my range would also be appreciated ).

If it's relevant, I mostly listen to jazz & rock, though I enjoy hip-hop & electronic stuff too.

I know this is a tall order and really appreciate any help. Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 16
ATH-ANC7 can be found for this price and they are good. Or you can find an inner-ear device that can work.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 16
Not a bad recommendation..and while you are at it check all their product line for something that may fit the requirement.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Do IEMs costing half the price of active noise-cancelling headphones really block out sound equally well (or better)? I've only ever used cheapie $10 marshmallows as far as inner-ear 'phones go, so I'm obviously a bit skeptical (and unfortunately my ability to try-before-I-by is pretty limited).

The price on the Super.fi 3 is definitely nice assuming it really will block out sound as well as the ATs; how does the comfort and sound quality compare?

Anyone else have anything they think I should seriously consider?

Again, thanks for help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 16
f you dont need massive bass, take a look at the senheiser hd280. It has really good isolation. Also, If you want to go the iem route, you can get the super.fi.3's for around 50 dollars at readio shack, or here on the FS forums.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 16
Your local costco has a good deal on some IEM vibes.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TechGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do IEMs costing half the price of active noise-cancelling headphones really block out sound equally well (or better)? I've only ever used cheapie $10 marshmallows as far as inner-ear 'phones go, so I'm obviously a bit skeptical (and unfortunately my ability to try-before-I-by is pretty limited).

The price on the Super.fi 3 is definitely nice assuming it really will block out sound as well as the ATs; how does the comfort and sound quality compare?

Anyone else have anything they think I should seriously consider?

Again, thanks for help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, IEM's block out sound much better than even the best active noise-cancelling headphones. Even ones that go for much cheaper (I have owned a pair of Shure E2c's, which at $80 block sound just as good as my much more expensive E500's and any active noise-canceling headphone I have tried).

Blocking something from reaching your ears just is more effective than attempting to cancel it out with a 180-degree out of phase waveform. Sometimes 'low-tech' > 'high-tech'.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 16
I just received a set of Super Fi 3 from Costco for $49.99 Plus tax and free shipping. This was from their online site. They are my first upgrade and are very nice sounding.

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Dec 8, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 16
I just got done looking at jgonino's headphones buyer's guide and noticed the Altec Lansing IM716's are on sale for the same price as the Super.fi 3's. Are the IM716's worth getting instead of the S.f3's if I don't plan to use them with an amp? I assume they are, but figure it can't hurt to ask.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 16
I have the im716s and they sound fine unamped (compared to KSC7s), I don't have an amp though so this may just be me not knowing better
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TechGecko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got done looking at jgonino's headphones buyer's guide and noticed the Altec Lansing IM716's are on sale for the same price as the Super.fi 3's. Are the IM716's worth getting instead of the S.f3's if I don't plan to use them with an amp? I assume they are, but figure it can't hurt to ask.
smily_headphones1.gif

those aren't for sale anymore at $50, now they sell for $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back