good isolating IEMs that would completely block mowers/weed eaters?
May 1, 2006 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
with a sound signature similar to my ms-1s, preferably with low impedance..

May 2, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
a lot of IEMs you see referenced here will give you good to excellent SQ but in regards to blocking out noise its all in the seal. most say foamies are the way to go. i have E4s and love their gray tips.

Once upon a time in a summer far far away I drove a ride on mower for a summer job. I had hearing protection, big overear headphone looking things. Even with those on my ear buds had to be cranked to hear much of anything. I wouldn't recommend you expose your ears to that for very long if at all.

May 2, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 24
To get complete isolation you're either going to have to get lucky with Tri-flanges or foamies or get custom moulds.

May 2, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
To get complete isolation you're either going to have to get lucky with Tri-flanges or foamies or get custom moulds.

He speaks correctly.

Although triflange is cheap, but custom molds are not.
But triflanges are either a yes or a no depnding on your ears. Over 60% of people around here do not prefer them.

May 2, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 24
Either custom, or Etys w/ triflange. But good luck w/ fitting a triflange
rolleyes.gif

May 2, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 24
I love the foamies ... but they would get incredibly filthy, fast, in your situation. And I'm not sure anything would completely block the noise you'd be experiencing ... be careful trying to drown out loud noise with really high volume levels. Having siad that, I have a pair of Etymotics Er-6's that came with bi-flanges, and I found their isolation to be the most complete (but I've switched to foamies for overall reasons).

May 2, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 24
Ugh...and I want advise against using something that blocks out TOO much sound...believe me, sometimes it really is best to hear the outside world when you're handling something with the potential to chop your hot dog off.

May 2, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 24
I like the standard triflanges. Foamies have less isolation than flanges, but you shouldn't cut out all outside noise because you need to be alert for what you're doing...

EDIT
Ah, you beat me to it
wink.gif

May 2, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 24
I've always found the rubber on UE headphones to have a better seal than foamies or comply's on Shure/Westone. I know that the rubber on the Shure is pretty useless. It's all really a matter of tips, as people say.

May 2, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Ugh...and I want advise against using something that blocks out TOO much sound...believe me, sometimes it really is best to hear the outside world when you're handling something with the potential to chop your hot dog off.

you said hot dog.

May 2, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 24
I always mow with the triple flange e4c on the iPod. Makes it a LOT more entertaining and I don't mind the time to listen to a couple of albums. I even edge/trim and clean up afterwards.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back