Good isolating headphones w/ Shuffle
Apr 17, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kschul2

100+ Head-Fier
Well I picked up an iPod shuffle yesterday and I'm really enjoying it even with the stock Apple earbuds. I'm looking to upgrade though and need something that will isolate a lot of external noise becuase I listen to music a lot while cutting grass and the lawnmowers pretty much drown all the music coming out of the Apple earbuds. I've been looking at the Shure e2s but was wondering if there's any else that's cheaper that will isolate as well (or nearly as well). If not I'll go for the e2s or maybe even e3s. I listen almost solely to alternative rock (think 311, Jimmy Eat World, Blink 182, etc.) Thanks.

Apr 17, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 16
E3c's or Etymotic ER4-P's
etysmile.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Ex71's are good if you're into crazy, bloated bass
biggrin.gif

I really enjoy the e2's with the new ultrasoft sleeves. I can't imagine it sounding much better. I'll have to demo a new pair of e4's when they come out to see if I can even tell the difference. They're quite good, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I can see the e3's possibly being a better choice because of a smaller size and a more refined sound, but by then, you're getting into the ety price range... so you say "hey, why not just jump for the er6i.. well, that's not a far step from the er-4p..." and suddenly you've spent $190 on canalphones.

Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #5 of 16
kschul2, just got off a 20 hour flight between San Francisco and Singapore.

Screaming kids and people thumping up and down the aisles and the Shuffle --> er6i's were a godsend! Nice and warm sounding with the shuffle. I'm listening to Daft Punk, the Killers, the Darkness and really couldn't hear much except a faint rumble of the engines.

Take that screamin' babies!
etysmile.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 16
I also use the shuffle, and I got er4p canalphones 2 days ago. They sound FANTASTIC. The shuffle/er-4p combination turns out to be a great one. I also have senn hd-600 headphones for use at home, and on some songs the ety's are actually better (especially music without a lot of distortion. So - jazz, or really any music with distinct, strong vocals and well recorded instruments sounds better on the ety's -- but for nirvana or my bloody valentine, the sennheisers seem to be better.) I tested the er6i canalphones in the store with the shuffle, and I didn't think they were nearly as good as the er-4p's. They're worth the extra money.

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 16
the px200, hd25-1 or er4p should serve you well.

i should know - i own all 3.
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 16
I can't believe you guys buy 'phones that are tw-three times as expensive as the rest of the whole line...

Although, this isn't the place to discuss how bad the Shuffle is.

The Shure E2c's are said to have a lot of problems. If I were you, I'd go for the Etymotic's. But, that's mostly because I think they are cooler.

Apr 18, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDream
I can't believe you guys buy 'phones that are tw-three times as expensive as the rest of the whole line...

Although, this isn't the place to discuss how bad the Shuffle is.

The Shure E2c's are said to have a lot of problems. If I were you, I'd go for the Etymotic's. But, that's mostly because I think they are cooler.

Yeah, in my opinion the er6i phones would be the best thing to go for unless you want to spend a lot of money.

I've never tried the Shure E2c's, but I've had my etymotics for about 2 months and I love them. I use them with a regular 20G iPod mainly and they sound great. They also isolate a lot too.

The only problem is you have to get used to putting them in and such, but I guess it's the same with all canal phones.

Apr 18, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kschul2
Well I picked up an iPod shuffle yesterday and I'm really enjoying it even with the stock Apple earbuds. I'm looking to upgrade though and need something that will isolate a lot of external noise becuase I listen to music a lot while cutting grass and the lawnmowers pretty much drown all the music coming out of the Apple earbuds. I've been looking at the Shure e2s but was wondering if there's any else that's cheaper that will isolate as well (or nearly as well). If not I'll go for the e2s or maybe even e3s. I listen almost solely to alternative rock (think 311, Jimmy Eat World, Blink 182, etc.) Thanks.

My girlfriend needed something for the gym so I got her the E2s, and recently, got her a shuffle. Along with the ultrasoft sleeves, she thinks this a great combination for active use. She's at the gym 5+ days a week and wears them for cardio and free weights. They stay well out of the way.

For your work-related outdoor stuff, I think the E2s would be a great choice. They are beefy and have a beefy cable that runs down the back (a definite plus for any moving equipment-related activities), and once in your ear, they really stay put since the driver fits inside the outer ear cavity. The small replaceable filter is also a good choice for dirt/sweat-related replacement (IMHO)

I've neither heard nor seen any "problems" with these in-ear monitors, as mentioned elsewhere; I consider them very sturdy. They seem to match fairly well with the Shuffle soundwise, but I must admit I've only given the combo brief listens.

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Based on sound I would choose the E3 over the ER4, or the ER6i. I find the etys thin sounding, and not as musical compared to the E3. The ER4 is greatly detailed however. The ER4 has better isolation though, which may be better when cutting the grass. If thin sound (at least compared to the E3s) does not bother you, ER4s isolation may make it a better choice for cutting the grass though. I also listen to rock (chevelle, metallica, coldplay, nirvana...) and I find the E3s to be a better canalphone for rock, and pop music.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 16
I'll second the recommendation for the e3c's. They have a really nice, full sound, and the mid boost makes them great for noisy environments. The over-the-ear design also more or less eliminates microphonics - which will be nice if you're going to be outside and moving around a lot. BTW, I listen mostly to rock and hip hop.

Apr 19, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 16
My recommendations would be Panasonic HJE50's ($20), Sharp MD-33 ($50), Shure E2c ($60-70), I personally havent heard the MD-33's, but I do like how the HJE50s and the E2c's sound, they arent overly bright which is a nice touch. I really don't wanna get into the higher models, they scare me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back