Good, inexpensive starter DAP for kids?
Nov 9, 2005 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

grignr

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for hf'er opinions on what would make nice Xmas starter DAPs for my two daughters (10 and 11). They're not head-fi'ers (thank God!) and would be happy with anything, so I'm looking less for a high-end system than I am something that's:

* inexpensive
* easy to use
* can take a little abuse (ie being jostled around in a backpack)

Both kids use flash drives at school, so a 2-4GiB flash DAP that can double as a USB drive would be a plus.

Any ideas?

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Probably a shuffle if you're looking for the flashdrive combo aspect.

If you want something that can take major abouse, look at getting them
into minidisc. I've had a few units that have been through the wringer more
than a few times. All of them play and record pefectly, though they don't
look brand new....
evil_smiley.gif

good luck
-Jeff

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 8
A 1 gig Creative Muvo TX FM is nice, you won't need any software to transfer songs/files on and off the unit. Built pretty tough, and you can buy different color battery modules. Also has built-in USB plug.

There's also the line of iAudio flash players like the U2, which don't need a cable but do require a mini adapter that can go on keychains. I think they are recognized as external drives, might want to check.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Like gshan said -- the Creative Muvo TX FM is a good starter DAP. The Creative Zen Nano is smaller, lighter, and "cuter" (it comes in red, purple, black, blue, etc.), but it does require a USB cable, if that's an issue -- maybe not a big deal ... I'm sure they know more about computers than I do. I have both, and they will provide a lot of listening for your kids. I haven't heard a Sandisk player, but the prices are good on those, too. (Are you considering inexpensive in-ear 'phones? Bundled earbuds can be huge for some adults, so that might be something to think about, as well.)

Nov 9, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 8
The Disney players look like lighters.
icon10.gif

I wonder how they sound. You want to make sure your kids are getting good sound so you can start them on the same path as the rest of us.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 8
This is a good start for a first time DAP, the YP-U1X is the latest 512mb DAP out from Samsung it Beats the "Apple Shuffle" hands down, with a navigation screen, voice record, 5 band EQ, direct MP3 line in recording, 14hr battery life, and a built in hinged USB, and supports MP3, WMA, secure WMA, WAV, and OGG codec. All this for the same price as the Apple shuffle. And is also available in a 1gb version. Overseas they have a 2gb version, hopefully available here in the U.S. soon. Check it out at www.samsung.com !

YP-U1X $99.00USD

YP-U1X.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back