Good in-ear buds with isolation, good treble (for classical)?
Oct 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

disappearedng

New Head-Fier
Looking for some good in-ear buds in the price range of 100-300 USD. 

How I rank my specs:
  • I am an avid classical fan so the treble has to be pretty solid. I've tried the Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear and returned them because I can hear squeaks and vibrations when the treble gets a little loud. I am definitely looking for a pair that will not squeak with classical music.
  • I work in a pretty noisy environment, so isolation is one of my main priorities.
  • Comfort. Nothing too funky. 
  • Base: I also listen to dance and trance, but most earphones do pretty well in these anyway.

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 8
The Sony EX1000, UE900, GR01, CK100 Pro will fit the bill and they all offers extended highs with good punchy bass and great instruments placement, imaging for classical and trance music genres.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 8
out of what zarim recommended, only the gr 01 fits the bill at around 180 -200 .. 

everything else is around 400 dollars and above.

i would suggest you check out the re 272 by hifi man .. they have the best treble i've heard so far.
but they have a very absent bass and wont fill your trance desires .. 

you can check out something like the brainwavz b2. they are a superb all rounder to my ears..

under 300 dollars i ll list some iems that are considered a good deal

1. brainwavz b2/ fischer dba 02 mk2 / greenhouse gh-erc-dms(accentuated treble, forward mids and adequate bass)
2. etymotic er4s ( flat frequency in ears)
3. hifiman re 272 ( super detailed neutral in ears)
4. westone um3x ( not heard but 'considered' top-tier iem)
5. v-sonic gr 07 mk2 - flat with good bass and nice highs (only heard the mk1 and they have a sibilance issue which is apparently addressed in the mk2)
6. rockit r 50/ v sonic gr 01 - not heard
7. jvc fx 700 - you might be able to get one in this price mostly seconds .. these will be your best bet for classical in my opinion .. slightly v shaped but very entertaining iems.
8. wait for the jvc fx 200z - 3 dynamic driver in ears around 280 dollars ..i believe it ll be worth the wait though 

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 8
you can use them without the hooks, but they have flat cables ..so microphonics? may be ..

get the pair and send me the earhooks .. 
wink.gif
.. im in search for one for a very long time now!! 

even the gr 01 is too long to be worn over the ear.. so microphonics there again ... 

i talked to clieos about the rockit sounds r 50 and he said its the same as the gr 01, and his impressions just vary a little from his original gr 01 write up.

so probably that ll help you out ...

if the b2 and their clones in my possession are the same sound, they are an absolute steal. though there are some issues like 'sibilance' that might be taken away with the dba 02 mk2 .. i ll ask around and let you know 

the sound signature is always tip dependant...and they work wonders with complys/ shure olives..

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 8
another option for you is the gr 07 mk2...

they have a superb build quality and a great 'top tier' sound...very neutral and superb bass..  i ll have to say i only heard the gr 07 mk1 though so .. cheers

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 8
DBA-02 MKII don't suffer from microphonics but the cable does take some getting used to. It doesn't suffer from sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back