Good IEMs with good bass and ENERGY. Triple.Fi 10 did not impress me. Rock, Trailer Music, Soundtracks, Metal, Pop, Eletronic Music. UE900, UM3X, 4R, are there others?
Mar 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

crewxp

Head-Fier
Hi. Can someone recommend me a good in ear earphones that are good quality? Some type of earphones that can emphasize the energy and beat to them. Probably about a $400 price limit. I had a Triple.Fi 10 for 2 or 3 years and they did not impress me. My stock Samsung earbuds seemed to provide almost the same sound as they did. They lacked in the wow factor.

I tried out a um3x recently and liked it a lot better than my Triple.Fi 10. But I was wondering if there was anything better. I would like to be able to hear guitar riffs better, more bass (without being too much), and be able to FEEL the beat so to speak.

I listen to:

-Trailer Music (epic/orchestral/guitar music. The type of music played on trailers)
-Rock (mainly listen for the guitar riffs and breakdowns. Dont care about vocals)
-Electronic Music (I like the solo instrument and the main background bass line/beat)
-Metal (For the guitar riffs)

I am looking at:
-UM3x To own
-Westone 4R
-UE900

But I only know of these because of their popularity. I REALLY like the UE900's microphone and control to change my music, but I heard the westones are better than the UE900 for my tastes. I don't really listen to soft, easy, classical. I listen to music that gives me ENERGY!

[COLOR=FF00AA]I really appreciate it![/COLOR]

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Won't call the W4s energetic, more warm and laid-back. Obviously more detail/more of a "wow" stage/presentation, but excitement's not their aim. That's more along the lines of the UE900 (while remaining pretty darn linear and clean-sounding). Heck even the UM3X are less laid back than the W4s. If you factor in the mic part, the UE900s seem to be an easy buy. Might not have enough bass though, these are miles ahead in bass texture and detail and speed, just not so much quantity-wise. Also the SM3 (well I guess it's the SM64 now since they've been replaced by the latter) for forward mids/guitar renditions, bass power. Or the PFE232s.

Also - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-274-iems-compared-hifiman-re-400-added-03-14-13-p-650#post_6492044

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 10
thanks so much for the links. yeah, maybe energetic was the wrong term. I was already listening to energetic music, but I wanted the parts (violins and bass) to have a stronger presence in my mind than my Triple.Fi 10's did. The UM3x was LOADS better in terms of sound to me for my music than my old Triple.Fi 10's were

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 10
If you find the TF10 bass light, then both the W4R and UE900 will not satisfy your hunger for bass. In terms of bass on these 2 IEMs, they are tune more to bass quality rather than quantity. Both IEMs reproduce bass in a linear fashion that is, extends deep. However, comparing both, the W4R does have a slightly greater bass impact due to its mid bass boost.

IMO, the TF10 does have the "wow" factor as it is tuned more to a V shape sound with emphasis on the lows and well-extended and energized treble presentation. Soundstage is considered large too.

The SQ of UM3X, IMO, is a notch higher than the TF10. Instrument separation is amazing. Mids are slightly forward and emphasized. Mids are also very lush and full bodied. Both female and male vocals shine through. In terms of bass, i would say the UM3X definitely win both W4R and UE900. UM3X will present rock music very well. If you don't find the soundstage of UM3X constricted, it is definitely worth trying out.  

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 10
yeah the w4s are not lively imo. i would consider the w3 more fun sounding than the w4 or um3x.
detail is obviously um3x's strong point tho. w3 has more bass, but also a lil mid bass hump

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Wow, awesome that you meantioned the Ai. I'm still deciding, lol.

Right now it's between the Westone 3, UM3X, and 4.Ai or 3.Ai (4 better?)

This may sound crazy, but I think the best sounding headphones I have tried were the Super.Fi 5 Pro/EB. Triple.Fi 10 was like a step down. UM3X when I tried it for a week was a LOT better than the Triple.Fi 10. If that gives a sense of how I like my music. But that was so far back, the um3x could very well sound better than the super fi 5 did.

Mostly metal and rock for me, a few electronic like Dubstep. I really like how some earphones make the guitar riffs stand out and separates the instruments where it's not muddy.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 10
For what you are asking for cross 4.ai and 3.ai off you list as well.  They both have less bass than TF10 and as good as the UM3x bass and instrument separation is, the closed in (almost) non-existent soundstage makes it a very bland sounding IEM. xaddictionx comments very accurate as well.

W3 is the only universal that matches your criteria.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 10
as spyro says, the um3x has a real narrow soundstage, and the w3 has a large one.
i would try the w3 and see if you can live with the mid bass hump. some can some cant

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 10
I think JVC FXZ100, FXZ200 wilbe better pcik for liviliness in mids, highs(guitars, drums sound good on these) and strong bass punch. The others IEMS like JVC FX700, Sennheiser IE8/80, Denon C300, Sony XB90EX are also good for these genres music and produce strong bass, liviliness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back