Good iem's to replace my etymotics?
Oct 4, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #16 of 27
Just a question..
I have got the iphone 4 and the etymotic hf5 arrived just yesterday. Also to me, the etymotics are great, actually fantastic, and they are my first somewhat expensive iems.
Anyways how loud can i turn up the iphone whilst not damaging my ears, anybody got any experience with these iems?
For those who don't know, the hf5's have got an impedance of only 16 ohms, and a sensitivity of 105 dB.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 27
Just a question..
I have got the iphone 4 and the etymotic hf5 arrived just yesterday. Also to me, the etymotics are great, actually fantastic, and they are my first somewhat expensive iems.
Anyways how loud can i turn up the iphone whilst not damaging my ears, anybody got any experience with these iems?
For those who don't know, the hf5's have got an impedance of only 16 ohms, and a sensitivity of 105 dB.

Just turn them up to a comfortable level bro.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 27
Im just wondering, what is comfortable? You know, i havn't got any experience except what i think is right, and i dont know what to compare with...

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #19 of 27
Comfortable as in the noise level doesn't hurt your ears. The beauty of the Etymotics is that they fit so far down into your ear canal and isolate so incredibly well, you don't have to turn the music up very loud at all and you get the effect of much louder music than you really are getting. 

For instance, I just got my ER-4S yesterday. Before that, I was using the RE-262 with Comply tips. When I was done listening to music for any length of time with the 262's...when I took them out of my ears, it took a while for my hearing to return to normal because I had to turn the volume up to get the sound level I wanted. I was worried about the Etymotics being worse since they fit so close to the inner ear, but even after 5 hours of listening last night, when I took them out, my hearing was normal. I attribute that to the much lower volume needed to get the sound I wanted. Using a cMoyBB amp, the Ety was 1/4 of a turn up from 0 opposed to 1/2 a turn up from 0 with the 262...so there's a pretty big difference.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 27
The Hifiman RE262 might be a good choice with accurate bass, lush detailed mids and nice crisp highs that aren't harsh plus they have a great soundstage.

If you use an amp like the FiiO E6 or E11 ($25 and $58) they sound better plus you don't have to turn the volume up high but they still sound good without an amp imo.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #21 of 27
In regards to comfort, may I also recommend getting your tips at Comply? I bought them for my Etymotic ER-4S and I'absolutely love them. My favourite tip type are the Comply P-Series which offer incredible amount of isolation.

This will be a godsend if you commute, and you'll not ever need to jack your volume level at obscene levels to enjoy your music.
http://www.complyfoam.com/products/P-Series/

Vince

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 27
Or for $100 you can get custom tips made that are supposed to be fantastic. I'm looking in to that now.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #23 of 27
Okay, just heard many bad things about that you get used to high volume levels, and some person even suggested me never having it higher than 3 bars on my iphone. Im just thinking it cannot be safe if you like turn up the volume until it hurts, and then turn it like 10% down for example..?

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 27
Not a stupid question at all.

Custom tips must fit right to isolate properly. (Most do not)

They must also have equal distance (left to right), from IEM to eardrum. Elsewise they will alter the sound of the IEM.

IMO it is best NOT to have them, but rather, invest the time and effort into aquiring a great fit with available over the counter tips.

Jim

Stupid question, but the customized tips will offer unparalled isolation right?

Vince

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #26 of 27
Custom tips must fit right to isolate properly. (Most do not)

1. This is only my opinion.
2. I am biased, like everyone else.
3. I have not heard everything in the world.

As the younger brother of "Dr. Abonso" Mead Killion the founder of Etymotic Research (of ER4 fame), I've been blessed to enjoy ER4, ER6i, etc. state-of-the-art audio from the beginning. Something I never was able to accomplish, however, before he sold the company (and much of the website technical and historical documentation began to fade) was the offering, by Etymotic, of state-of-the-art ear sealing for those of us who can't endure the discomfort of the stock Ety offerings.

What I consider to be this state-of-the-art ear sealing is the marriage of 3M 1100 foam seals (soft, fine pore, high damping) and Etymotic products including ER20XS hi-fi attenuators. EAR made pioneeringly high damping, thus high isolation, foam plugs and these were adopted early-on for Etymotic Research production, but the coarseness of the EAR foam made them just as discomfiting, after a very few minutes in my ears, as the 3-cup seals' line contact. I simply couldn't bear wearing either for more than a few minutes before my ear canals were screamingly itchy.

I learned late in the game that a 3M salesman had somehow deceived or double-dealt Brer Mead at some point along the way, which explained his resistance to the use of 3M seals.

My happy (high damping, so good for lawn mowing etc. isolation, and smooth, for hours of insertion comfort) personal solution was adoption of the 3M 1100 seal, which I recognized as having been adopted by the airline industry for passenger handouts; thus essentially representing the de facto gold standard of the industry. These (3M 1100/Ety mounting tube) seal "assemblies," which have limited life before succumbing to the stress concentration at their interface with the mounting tube, can be made in batches to enable ready swap-out as needed. I use a batch of tapered wooden mandrels, created from 1/4" shish kabob skewers chopped into ~2" lengths before being hand drill spun against the RH face of a bench grinder wheel to produce a ~1.5" long taper to ~2mm, as "freezer fixtures" to enable sufficient assembly time between 3mm pierced seals and mounting tubes made from 1/8" OD fuel line from the hardware store. The 3M 1100 seals are shortened by chopping ~10mm off their blunt end, then punched with a leather punch after axial compression into a pancake, the trickiest part. I pre-mark the dome of the seal at its tip with a Sharpie dot to provide a visual centering device for the punching operation. After the seals have grown back from their pancake state they can be "screwed" onto the mandrels butt face first using parallel fingers on the OD as driver means. Pop them into the freezer for ~20 minutes, then apply superglue to the OD of ~1/2" long tube segments one at a time (grabbing a "frozen" seal/mandrel assembly from the freezer one at a time) for quick twisting dismount from mandrel then quick installation to flush (to 1mm recessed) at rounded end over the mounting tube. Finally, after the superglue is cured, mount the assembly on a hand drill-driven tapered 1/8" shish kebab skewer for spinning against your bench grinder wheel to taper, and thus minimize ID stress concentration, the foam from OD of mounting tube to OD of seal. See pic of vintage ER4 phones (which have made many trips abroad exceedingly pleasant), for visual example. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ey8bdVwmZ7Bj4iMS1qDSwUn0mMbHhaAS/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #27 of 27
The er4sr or xr can sometimes be seen on sale for 120 new, so thats pretty good. I also have tried the r50 and give them a vote of confidence. Their fit are a lot better than the etys imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back