Good iem's to replace my etymotics?
Oct 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, looking at getting some new iem's as my ety's are on the verge of falling to pieces. I'd like to find something superior to them however.

What I'm looking for:
Natural sounding bass, absolutely positively cannot stand bass-heavy sound. It needs to sound natural and blend nicely with the music. 
Good treble extension and perhaps slightly forward mids. I have a pair of AD900's if that says anything about my sound preference. I also really want to make sure the mids and highs are WELL RENDERED, no ringing or harshness (ety's seemed to be slightly harsh sounding in both ranges).
They also need to have very good isolation, at least as good as the ety's if not better. I often wear my ety's when mowing the lawn and cannot hear the lawnmower, and i'd like something that isolates that well. Detachable cables would be very good as well considering I'm very abusive with them.

Price range:
The less i have to spend the better, but at the most i'd say 200 ish (with a tiny bit of room to play). 

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 27
From what you describe, sounds like a pair of Etymotics would be right up your alley. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 27
Oct 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 27
Seriously though...which Ety's do you already have? (edit...just noticed in your sig. you had the HF5) May you could just up grade your Etymotic? I just got my first Etymotic today, the ER-4S, and I am in love with it.

Anyways, maybe look at the Vsonic GR01, HiFiMan RE-252 or RE-272?

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
Seriously though...which Ety's do you already have? (edit...just noticed in your sig. you had the HF5) May you could just up grade your Etymotic? I just got my first Etymotic today, the ER-4S, and I am in love with it.

Anyways, maybe look at the Vsonic GR01, HiFiMan RE-252 or RE-272?

Does the ER4 actually sound any better though?

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 27
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 27
As a matter of fact...

You can take your broken HF5 and use it for a killer discount from Etymotic towards a Brand New Pair of ER-4.

Cheers, Jim

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 27
Well...according to reviews they are close, but the ER-4 is better. I can't say myself cause I've only heard the ER-4P and ER-4S, which a pretty close in my mind. The S being a little more flat with the P slightly warmer, very slight. The S just has so much detail it's incredible. Sounds like we have very similar tastes in what we are looking for in a head/earphone. I do enjoy some fun bass now and then, don't get me wrong, but for 99% of my listening, I want highs and forward, full mids, and accurate tight unbloated bass. I LOVE vocals. I want to hear the singers voice. Like a friend said to me recently, if the artist smokes 2 packs a day, I wanna be able to hear it in his voice. If he's tapping his foot to keep the beat, I wanna hear it. Fingers running up and down the strings of the guitar...yup...I wanna hear it...and now I can.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
As a matter of fact...
You can take your broken HF5 and use it for a killer discount from Etymotic towards a Brand New Pair of ER-4.
Cheers, Jim

That's awesome that you can do that. I've heard Ety has second to none customer service and will really take care of you, even if your stuff is out of warranty many times. The ER-4 is more than $200, the MSRP is $300 but online they can be had for less of course. I've seen them in the $230's, but if you can trade in old for new...that's great. I got mine from a brick and mortar but got a very competitive price.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 27
Here is a Linky...

http://www.etymotic.com/cs/outwarranty.html

As a matter of fact...
Cheers, Jim

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 27
Vsonic GR01 gets my vote here. The Rockit Sounds R-50 also has the exact same sound as the GR01 in a different and less expensive package.

Compared to an HF5, the GR01 will sound a little bit warmer, and will have a more extended(but not brighter) treble. The added warmth will make them sound less harsh compared to your HF5. I had the HF5 for about a week and had to return it. Didnt like the lack of bass or the comfort. The GR01 and R-50 still arent bass heavy by any means, but in my opinion is just a step above the ety's in this department.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 27
Seeing as you can get the ER4 for $179 direct from etymotic I would simply trade your old ones in. I have owned the lesser versions of the etymotics and the ER4's to my ears are simply better. Also, from what you describe as the sound you want they are perfect, get the P version as I am not sure you have an amp and they have more of the sound you want right out of a Nano. If you get an amp at some point you can always get the adaptor to make them an S version.

They are bullet proof as well, I have had my set for a number of years and they are like new, much better build than their cheaper models I have found.

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back