Good IEMs for secondary use
Oct 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
Since I've got my RE0's, I love them, but my UHP336's sound awful to me now. I'm thinking about picking up a set of IEMs for secondary use (good for out in the woods without breaking my RE0's). I would just use the UHP336's, but they sound all muddy to me now, their fit isn't very good for my intended uses (good seal, but awkward feeling), and the cable just plain sucks. Something with a form factor similar to the Sony EX50's line would be ideal, but better SQ than UHP336's if at all possible (I seriously doubt that's going to happen though). I gave away my old Sony MDR-EX55's and Denon 351's (semi regretting giving away the Denons now), but I've heard the MDR-EX56's are better than the 55's. I've got some Koss KSC75's coming in, but IEMs would be better for my uses.

I'd like to keep it under $30, and they'd be used with my Clip+. A right angle plug would be ideal. Also, they need to be able to fit in an Altioids tin (my case for my ultraportable rig...). I've searched alot, and the JVC Marshmallows, JVC Air Cushions, Sennheiser CX400, and Sony MDR-EX56 seem like my most likely candidates so far. Ideally, I'd buy a set of UM3X's and use my RE0's for abroad, but my wallet won't let that happen any time soon. Sorry for making another thread like this, but technology changes and new products come out over time.

Thanks for reading.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 9
For under $30 you're rather limited. The only one I can think of with an angled plug is the Soundmagic PL21 (which I think is actually an upgrade from the UHP336 and was $12 at focalprice yesterday). Other options are the Meelec Ai-M9 and refurb ADDIEMs (often available on ebay foor ~$30). Also the JVC HA-FXC50, but mine died on one side before I got a chance to properly listen to them.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Forgot about NuForce and Soundmagic.

Quote:

For under $30 you're rather limited.

Yeah, I figured that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'd like to stay away from the ADDIEMs or anything with an iPod remote/volume control. Black or gray would be my prefered color. White IEMs would stand out too much for my tastes.

EDIT: Are these CX400's legit? If so, I'll probably just get those.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bba1973 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Forgot about NuForce and Soundmagic.

Yeah, I figured that, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'd like to stay away from the ADDIEMs or anything with an iPod remote/volume control. Black or gray would be my prefered color. White IEMs would stand out too much for my tastes.

EDIT: Are these CX400's legit? If so, I'll probably just get those.

seems legit. Those are their display model for sale.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, I guess I'll get those when I get some more money. They look like they'd work fine (form factor, right angle plug on the extension, etc.). That is, unless Kramer modded JVC Marshmallows (34's) would sound better.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 9
If you stretch to ~$40, maybe you can get some RE2s.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you stretch to ~$40, maybe you can get some RE2s.

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the input, but this isn't what I'm looking for. Yes, I'm limiting myself SQ-wise with my budget, but if I keep hearing "for only $10 more" enough times, I'll just end up getting another pair of RE0's or a set of UM3X's. For only $25 I can get a set of unboxed legit CX400's, which will likely sound decent enough, so why spend $15 more for a little bit better SQ?

Besides, I really need something with a right angle plug (which the RE2's don't have but the CX400's extension cable does). The IEMs I'm considering need to have a right angle because I don't want to risk damaging my Clip+ with a straight plug while using abroad. I'm currently using Clip+ + RE0's (unamped) for school, and I really don't think that straight plug will hold up for out in the woods. Why buy RE2's and risk breaking off the plug in my headphone jack? I haven't seen any right angle adaptors anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back