Good IEMs for classical and other acoustic music under $200.
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Captain Needa

New Head-Fier
Good IEMs for classical and other acoustic music

Hi there,

I'm looking for some new IEMs. My strongest priority is for classical music and other kinds of acoustic music (jazz, traditional folk music, world music, etc.), but I also listen to classic rock.

My current IEMs, which are going kaput, are Etymotics HF5s. I've been pretty happy with them, but they're the only non-cheap IEMs I've owned so I don't have a lot to compare them with. I was thinking about getting Etymotics ER3-SE or ER3-XR, but I'd be curious to hear other suggestions. I definitely like the accuracy, detail and flatness but I'm not a purist about it.

My only complaint is that the HF5s occasionally sound a tad harsh with the higher frequencies, but its not a major problem.

Also wondering which of the ER3s to get. I'm fairly happy with the bass in the HF5s so I'm leaning towards the ER3-SE, but I dunno.

Price range - preferably under $200, unless there's a very good reason.

Jul 25, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 7
Good IEMs for classical and other acoustic music

Hi there,

I'm looking for some new IEMs. My strongest priority is for classical music and other kinds of acoustic music (jazz, traditional folk music, world music, etc.), but I also listen to classic rock.

My current IEMs, which are going kaput, are Etymotics HF5s. I've been pretty happy with them, but they're the only non-cheap IEMs I've owned so I don't have a lot to compare them with. I was thinking about getting Etymotics ER3-SE or ER3-XR, but I'd be curious to hear other suggestions. I definitely like the accuracy, detail and flatness but I'm not a purist about it.

My only complaint is that the HF5s occasionally sound a tad harsh with the higher frequencies, but its not a major problem.

Also wondering which of the ER3s to get. I'm fairly happy with the bass in the HF5s so I'm leaning towards the ER3-SE, but I dunno.

Price range - preferably under $200, unless there's a very good reason.
You can check out CA Orion - they sound similar to Etys ER3 with bigger soundstage imho. Used are around $200.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 7
Stretch a bit your budget (about 20-30) and get a used pair of Shure SE 535 from the sell forum.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 7
To add a little bit to the confusion :wink:
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1.
I don't have much experience with IEMs but have been looking for something similar as you are describing and my search led to the P1s.
Compared to my full size headphones (AudioQuest NightHawk and NightOwls) the P1 is much "brighter", but in a good sense. They are clear and detailed but very natural. I am particularly sensitive to piano strokes sounding right, and the P1 does a very good job.
Compared to the dark and "mighty" NightOwls, the P1 gives up bass rumble and but what's there is of good quality.
All that is with the Chord Mojo, which is a very transparent, smooth and powerful source.
The P1 needs more power than most IEMs.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I've heard/own(ed) all the IEMs listed above and based on your needs and genres, go with the ER4S.

You're going to miss the midrange if you go with any of the above, except the Orion in which case, you'll get more soundstage but miss out on the nice ER4 treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back