Good IEMs for ~$100?
Dec 30, 2005 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Istasi

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi'ers.

For Christmas I got some HD 595s, my first foray into the world of audiophile products, and they are the best sounding cans I've ever heard. Who says Senns can't do rock?

Anyways, while I've fallen in love with them, listening to them in noisy environments and while traveling is hardly practical, due to the fact they block almost no sound. Naturally, there's only one place to ask for headphone advice - Head-Fi.

I've pretty much decided that I want an IEM, due to their high levels of isolation. I will most likely be running these directly from my iPod Nano (I may purchase a portable amp in the future, but that's not a sure thing.) My main taste in music is classic rock (The Who, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Guns N' Roses, etc.) but also includes a fair amount of contemporary artists (Coldplay, Kanye West, Franz Ferdinand.) Thus, I'm looking for a headphone that is excellent for rock, while still a good all-rounder. I know there's no "End-all, be-all" IEM in this range, so I'll try and outline what I'm looking for.

First off, I'm not a basshead. However, I definitely appreciate the presence of bass when it's meant to be heard. Also, I'm looking for an IEM with clarity. After hearing my HD 595s, I can't stand anything that sounds muddy or muffled. Finally, I love being able to hear the vocals. I definitely don't want an IEM where everything else overpowers the human voice. I hope these criteria aren't too strict. If they are, I'm sure you Head-Fi folks can figure something out.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 21
Chalk up another vote for the UM1's...

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 21
Ive heard the etynomic ER6 (MSRP 150, online for ~80 and up) are clearer than Shure E2c, (i myself own and enjoy the Shures) but i think the shures are very fun to listen to rock and i think others agree

i dont know how else to explain it other then fun to listen to, most of my music sounds like the artist is right there in front of me performing

as for clearness, digital noise is highly noticable in mp3 128kbps, 192kbps is without noise and sounds okay, but the difference between 192kbps and 320 is very apparant and 320 and lossless is also a noticable up in sound quality

sound isolation is good IMO, when im in a school lunch room the music blocks out all music with my Zen Micro only turned up half way, up a little more and i can hear my music very well over airplane engines.

I would reccomend them, MSRP 100, found online a little cheaper, also a great 2 year warrenty

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 21
for that style of music i think the reputed warmer sound of the UM1 would be perfect.

i listen to those types of music and so far it sounds great on here. ive tried out radiohead to zeppelin to coldplay. thom yorke sounds damn good on these puppies.

they are still good for classical which i listen to as well. enjoyed a wonderful trio for piano-violin-cello by chopin last night on them. though perhaps the consensus is that the more analytical sound of ety's would be better for classical. however probably not as good for rock. if rock is your primary type of music the um1 should be best, and it isnt like they are so inferor for other types of choons.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 21
According to Etymotic, the Altec Lansing IM716's are the same as the Etymotic ER4s, with a switch to go between 4P AND 4s. They are for sale on Amazon at $119. That is a great price for this quality of IEM. Waiting for them to arrive.

Dec 30, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 21
Here's a vote for the Ety ER6 they provide an incredible amount of detail and work well with the portable devices.. Don't think you would be disappointed and if you get an amp in the future they take well to that also. Some will contend they are short on Bass but I haven't found that to be a problem. IMHO, the Bass isn't as extended as larger full size cans, but with a good seal the bass is very tight.

Good Luck!

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for all the input so far guys. The UM1s are looking the most appealing at the moment. I have a question about them though.

How easy are they to insert/take out?

I have no prior experience with IEMs (at least not real IEMs), so something easy to insert and remove is pretty much a necessity.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Istasi
Thanks for all the input so far guys. The UM1s are looking the most appealing at the moment. I have a question about them though.

I have no prior experience with IEMs (at least not real IEMs), so something easy to insert and remove is pretty much a necessity.

For me, it is very easy. I put them in/take them out slowly and they basically just slide in.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Istasi

It will be a little more difficult with no prior experience but once you get used to it, its very easy. Just pop them in and out. All IEMs need a little practice and time to get use to. Maybe a week of so will be fine.

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 21
Foamies take a good while to get in because you have to roll them and wait for them to expand, but the PVC tips just slide right in no problem

youll get used to it at the least

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 21
The UM1s are a little tricky to put in and take out since they go around your ear and the earpiece itself is shaped to fit into your ear, meaning it has to be in a certain direction. This is my second day of having them and I'm already finding it much easier, though, so with a little practice there should be no problems. The fact the earpieces are shaped to fit into the ear also mean they're somewhat harder for others to see, and also people have reported meaning able to lie with their head on the side without discomfort, although I myself have not yet pulled this off yet.

I got mine from earphonesolutions, the price seems good, and they throw in a free pair of Shure triflanges. Many people seem to use these for the UM1, although they cut the stem and sometimes the smallest flange. I have heard it is possible to purchase directly from Shure "fit kit" of all the different kinds of tips, and they will all fit on the UM1 and may produce different comfort, convenience, isolation, and sound.

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 21
one u get used to the direction they are supposed to go in it becomes second nature.

you can get them for 99 bucks but i got them for 109 @ earphonesolutions. the service was very fast, they have a good name, and they came with the triflange tip, which to me was worth the price increase; i cut a bit off the largest flange along with the stem and they seal nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back