Good IEM for under $200?
Jul 17, 2011 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ceapy

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I have a budget of ~$200 but would like to spend around $150. I'm willing to pay a bit more than $200 if they're really good. I've been researching but there's so many choices and were hoping the people at head-fi could narrow my search down a bit.

I'm looking for something durable seeing as how I broke my Klipsch S4 in 6 months. The MP3 I'm using is the Cowon J3

The type of music I listen to is a lot of rock/metal, jazz  etc... Like atmospheric, progressive, power etc etc. so I like IEMs with plenty of clarity... and then I also listen to hip hop/dubstep/r&b/house/trance etc so I want something warm with plenty of bass, but not too overpowering.

That is mostly what I listen to but also a wide range of music except country. If anyone needs more info just ask. Thanks!

Also, because of my wide range of music, which IEM would be better suited? The Westone 2, UM2, 3 or UE triple fi 10? I listen to a lot more metal, house and dubstep then most other genres.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Audio Technica CK90PRO. It has great clarity and fast treble which should be good for rock/metal and good bass definition and impackt which should be good for hiphop/dubstep. The price is around $200.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 5
If you want plenty of clarity(not warm or very bass heavy)with good bass extention then i will recommend to try Etymotic HF5 and it offer good tight seal than many other IEMs. Few more IEMs are recommended here because they offer warm bassy soundsignature like Sennheiser IE7, IE8, MTP Gold, JVC FX500 and Radius DDM.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks Zarim. Any other feedback? Do you guys think the Westone 2's would work best with the type of genre I listen to? The Cowon J3/D3 is said to have a great EQ so the lack of bass I'm hearing from research shouldn't be a problem. Also, if possible, what tips should I use for the Westone 2's? I was thinking the comply TX-100, P-series, black olives or just use the stock tips that come with the W2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back