Good IEM for Nokia 5800 XpressMusic?
Mar 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

vinay

Head-Fier
I just got the Nokia 5800. Was planning on getting SA6 for it, but wasnt sure after reading threads on 5800 SQ that SQ will be good.
So is it worth going for a good IEM for Nokia 5800? If so Plz suggest a good IEM for this phone.(Is SA6 worth the money?)
If not best IEM that could possibly get best out of it.

Open to any kinda suggestions.
atsmile.gif

Thanks in advance.

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 24
My UE Super.fi 5 Pros sound pretty good from the 5800.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 24
The UE is a bit out of my reach.. But my first question is that "Is the SQ from 5800 really that good to try a 200$ IEM??" or like earerror suggested a CX300 is more than enough..

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 24
The CX300 is a hunk of garbage if you ask me. Even for $20 you can do a lot better. Never having heard that phone, I cannot comment specifically, but chances are that the limiting factor will not be the phone.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 24
x2 on the CX300 being a bunch of garbage. Now you may very well enjoy it if you are coming from stock buds but it isn't a great phone. lots and lots and lots of overpowering bass that just overpowers everything else.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE is a bit out of my reach.. But my first question is that "Is the SQ from 5800 really that good to try a 200$ IEM??" or like earerror suggested a CX300 is more than enough..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CX300 is a hunk of garbage if you ask me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the CX300 being a bunch of garbage

I think the 5800 has good signal quality, but needs a somewhat efficient IEM. My ER-6is and the SP.fi 5 Pros both hiss with a line amp, but are totally quiet out of the 5800; they both get "just loud enough" without an amp and sound very good. The ER-6i's are going for about half the price of the SP5 Pro's right now; they sound very accurate but the bass can be less than satisfying.

The SP5 Pro's were recently discontinued and can be had for around $135 shipped off eBay; IMO they are worth it at that price and you will really appreciate them with the 5800. Make sure you don't get the non-Pro, or the EB version of the SP5. My other IEMs require more power than the 5800 can deliver unamped.

The Head-Direct RE2 may be what you are looking for if you want a well-rounded less expensive option, look those up as they have a better reputation than the CX300 evidently.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 24
Do not I repeat and bold this statement; DO not underestimate the SQ of Nokia 5800, this little fellows souds really good with my IE8s. Ofcourse it is not a Sony X series beast but, thing sounds pretty good, believe me..
L3000.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 24
If you really want to cheap out, take a chance on these, $20 shipped from Costco.

Oh yeah, I think the 5800 sounds great too
smile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 24
thanks for the replies and suggestions..
Budget is like 100$.Can push a little if really good and worth it.

I listen to Pink Floyd kinda music. I have never paid close attention the music quality untill recently so cant tell anything about mids and trebles. but dosen't bass mean more of the boom feeling?(pardon for the newbish question)
The only headphones i have heard to is HD555(recent buy) and some 5$ earphones.

@grokit: Lenntek Sonix Micro - too much bass,might give me a headache..
how does the RE0 fare compared to RE2??

Is there something wrong with SA6?? no comments on them good or bad.?? i asked this coz i read that armature is better than dynamic(correct me if i am wrong)

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 24
armature is not better than dynamic. the other way is not true either. it's just different technology. there are some very good dynamic and very good BA drivers.

The thing with the SA6 is that I don't think anyone who has posted here has heard them so you would need someone who has heard them.

bass could be like that depending on what you want from your bass. im assuming by that "boom" feeling you are actually talking about impact. i consider bass for the most part the bass and the bass drum as those are the most common. there are certain phones (mostly cheaper ones) where theres too much bass and it just overpowers the spectrum like a cx300 for example and the bass is not even that good to begin with.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the replies and suggestions..
Budget is like 100$.Can push a little if really good and worth it.

I listen to Pink Floyd kinda music. I have never paid close attention the music quality untill recently so cant tell anything about mids and trebles. but dosen't bass mean more of the boom feeling?(pardon for the newbish question)
The only headphones i have heard to is HD555(recent buy) and some 5$ earphones.

@grokit: Lenntek Sonix Micro - too much bass,might give me a headache..
how does the RE0 fare compared to RE2??

Is there something wrong with SA6?? no comments on them good or bad.?? i asked this coz i read that armature is better than dynamic(correct me if i am wrong)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing with the SA6 is that I don't think anyone who has posted here has heard them so you would need someone who has heard them.

That is true that I've never listened to the SA-6s; I've "heard" good things about their sound signature though, and they may be just what you are looking for; I would venture that they would probably be an improvement over your 555's, which I did use to own. The only thing that concerns me is that there are also a few reports about broken ones/build quality issues, and I personally worry whenever I hear about interchangeable parts, because I can lose track of such things easily. As long as you take resonably good care of such things, you shouldn't have any problems.

That said, aren't they the ones that have that Siam wooden housing version? Nope, I just checked and those are the SA-1s, $50. The SA-6s are $250, perhaps out of reach of you just over $100 budget. I'm not sure how they would do unamped, but probably better than the RE0s; you might want to check on that. That's one big difference between the RE0s and the RE2s, the RE2s will be louder without an amp but they are probably around the same SQ as the Costco ones. They are on special with the Fiio amp at Head-direct for $39 total. If you want to play around with a couple of models and entry-level amplification, you could get the RE2, Fiio E5, and the SA1s for around $89 plus shipping.

If you want to get serious, read on; the RE0 is definitely in a different league but almost demands amplification, and the SA6s seem like they are also very good while being less analytical in comparison. The SP5 Pro is at least right there with both IMO, but they do stick out a bit and some don't like the shape. They have the advantage of plug-n-play cables also. I would guess they are in between the SA-6 and RE0 in sound signature without the RE0s amp requirements.

To confuse you further, check out the Future Sonics Atrio Series, and the Phonak Audeo Perfect Fit Pfes
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 24
UM3X that is what I use.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 24
i found SA6 in amazon for 150$ so i asked..
But since i am new to it i might as well go with some below 100$ IEMs..
the only problems is the list keeps increasing..
For now i might as well not look beyond RE2,RE0 or Sonix Micro..

Quote:

UM3X that is what I use.

Thanks but tats way out of my league..

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #15 of 24
The RE2 and the Sonix Micro are nothing alike. If you are after a balanced sound on the cheap, I would avoid both. For balanced and accurate sound take a look at the Soundmagic PL50, Maximo iM-590, and ECCI PR100/PR200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back