Good IEM Earphones for J-Rock, J-Pop, Anisong, Classical, Japan genre.
May 16, 2013 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Gan Shintaro

New Head-Fier
Hello, I created this account just for this question.
What IEM earphones should I get for the genre above?
Even though there is alot of threads like this, I couldn't find any information that I need on it, so this is all my requirements for the earphones

• Should be able to handle all genres
  • Little noise isolation (I want to hear my music, but I still want to hear who is calling me.)
  • Should be able to distinguish the instruments. (This is hard to describe, but the instruments part are separated, but is still synchronize with each other, I listen to song that I am trying to describe, but the headphones I have right now jumbles them up.)
  • Bass, treble, etc. should not over power each other and could clearly hear all of them.
  • Should be able to handle all kind of singer from J-Pop to J-Rock to Deep to High and so on
  • I want to use this to watch anime too, I heard on some of these thread that the earphones could play the song at an amazing level, but the singer's voice couldn't be heard clearly. I would not mind if you offer me a second earphone
  • I would like it if the product is from Japan, because I keep thinking, I listen to Japanese song, so they should have an earphone/headphones that could handle the songs. This is just my  opinion
  • The vocal should stand out, obviously but just to put it out there.
  • Should have a full range

That is the basic of what I need
My budget is around $200-$500 
I am going to have these for a long time

And can anyone tell me about the Sony XBA 40, I was planning to get it, but I saw a review that a_recording made and started to doubt myself.

Lastly please tell me exactly what you are describing, I am new to the site and to all of the term, so I don't even know what dark or light means, or the brand number.

If you want some music example then I will provide them if ask to.

Thank you very much for reading this and helping me out.

May 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 19
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver Added 05/15/13 p.688)
In case you haven't found these - other places to ask questions regarding portable gear.

All-rounder, not too isolating, separation, balance, nice with J-music, perhaps a bit mid-forward - well the XBA-40s certainly aren't "mid-forward" but the tonality should work out for your genres. It does have a full sound but the bass might overpower what you're prioritizing at moments. The XBA-3s definitely strike a better balance in that regard. 

It's way below budget, and the fact that their earphone section closed up so warranty is no more - but the PFE112s seem to fit plenty of the criteria. Nicely balanced, quite linear in fact, shallow insertion so isolation won't be excessive, presentation is crisp and clear-cut (i.e. yes, tracks are nicely discernible from one another and separation is quite good), personally like them for ballads but regular anisong would work just as well (though that is privy to preference).

Then of course there's the eQ-5, A161p (insertion depth may vary), RE262, RE-400, etc, etc.

May 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver Added 05/15/13 p.688)
In case you haven't found these - other places to ask questions regarding portable gear.

All-rounder, not too isolating, separation, balance, nice with J-music, perhaps a bit mid-forward - well the XBA-40s certainly aren't "mid-forward" but the tonality should work out for your genres. It does have a full sound but the bass might overpower what you're prioritizing at moments. The XBA-3s definitely strike a better balance in that regard. 

It's way below budget, and the fact that their earphone section closed up so warranty is no more - but the PFE112s seem to fit plenty of the criteria. Nicely balanced, quite linear in fact, shallow insertion so isolation won't be excessive, presentation is crisp and clear-cut (i.e. yes, tracks are nicely discernible from one another and separation is quite good), personally like them for ballads but regular anisong would work just as well (though that is privy to preference).

Then of course there's the eQ-5, A161p (insertion depth may vary), RE262, RE-400, etc, etc.

I think Audeo still offers warranty on PFEs. I messaged them because I had a chipped nozzle on one of the earpieces and they asked how recently I had bought it. Though my set was out of warranty, it seemed to me they were still providing warranty. Not sure if it is only for PFEs bought before they closed down or if it's warranty for remaining stock they haven't sold yet.

May 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 19
Strongly recommend the Sony 7550.

Very wide genre compatibility with a neutral signature, very little isolation, made in Japan, good for female vocals.

It more or less matches what you want unlike the XBA-40.

If you wanted more isolation then get the VSonic GR07. It ain't made in Japan but at least the driver is licensed from Sony?

EDIT: I should also add the 7550 is called the EX800ST in Japan!

May 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 19
Thank you for your recommendation a_recording, especially how the IEM looks, I love the unique design, but those it have a successor? I want to get the latest one or is this good enough? OH! and what about male singer? especially the singer of UVERworld? Love his voice.

May 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 19
Recommend TDK BA200, I love how it present the vocal. The soundstage is quite okay but instrument separation is right there but none of them are dominating while synchronized quite well. It's bi-flange isolates less while the Comply isolates nicely and comfortably (imagine a sponge in your ear canal). Good accessories, better than Xba series'. Vocal is only slightly forwarded though. And it's availability is an issue too if you're outside the Asia region since TDK distribution sucks. I put my Xba-1 in rest after I received it. I don't know but, I can now not to skip vocal songs since I was instrumental music oriental

May 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 19
Recommend TDK BA200, I love how it present the vocal. The soundstage is quite okay but instrument separation is right there but none of them are dominating while synchronized quite well. It's bi-flange isolates less while the Comply isolates nicely and comfortably (imagine a sponge in your ear canal). Good accessories, better than Xba series'. Vocal is only slightly forwarded though. And it's availability is an issue too if you're outside the Asia region since TDK distribution sucks. I put my Xba-1 in rest after I received it. I don't know but, I can now not to skip vocal songs since I was instrumental music oriental

May 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Thank you for your recommendation a_recording, especially how the IEM looks, I love the unique design, but those it have a successor? I want to get the latest one or is this good enough? OH! and what about male singer? especially the singer of UVERworld? Love his voice.

No it's a current model :) There is the higher end EX1000 but it is not as good for all genres.

May 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 19
I saw you review on the 7550 and you said that is is not good for mobile purpose, can you give me a recommendation that could be used as a mobile IEM with the quality similar to the 7550? Sorry to ask you so much questions.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 19
I say they are not good for mobile purposes because isolation is very low, but you say you actually want low isolation lol.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 19
PFE with grey filters are good for vocals. It's generally neutral with good detail. Slightly lacking in bass quantity but makes up for it in detail. Light isolation and goes well with most genres except bass heavy ones. I find them to be more detailed than musical which is subjective. I wish they were a bit more musical so I could enjoy my music more rather than analytical.

They're about $100 (if you get the Perfect Bass set and swap filters), and just buy a pack of grey filters for another $20.

I think that the requirement of having the product be from Japan is unnecessary. There are a lot of good IEMs to choose from that are detailed, neutral, and good with vocals. By (potentially) limiting your choices to made in Japan products, you're missing out. Though, I do understand your thought process of how Japanese made IEMs may be more tailored for popular music genres within the country.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
PFE with grey filters are good for vocals. It's generally neutral with good detail. Slightly lacking in bass quantity but makes up for it in detail. Light isolation and goes well with most genres except bass heavy ones. I find them to be more detailed than musical which is subjective. I wish they were a bit more musical so I could enjoy my music more rather than analytical.

They're about $100 (if you get the Perfect Bass set and swap filters), and just buy a pack of grey filters for another $20.

I think that the requirement of having the product be from Japan is unnecessary. There are a lot of good IEMs to choose from that are detailed, neutral, and good with vocals. By (potentially) limiting your choices to made in Japan products, you're missing out. Though, I do understand your thought process of how Japanese made IEMs may be more tailored for popular music genres within the country.

I mentioned that I am very new to all the term... I don't even know there was a filter in an IEM... I don't even know what a filter to an IEM is. lol

I came up with that idea when I was listening to UVERworld, the band that started my interest in Japanese music, and learned that they were with Sony music and they make good quality music listening devices, since Japan they have the source to my favorite kind of music, they might have IEM that could keep up with the quality since the music (in my opinion) over in Japan is more complex and could synchronize different genre to make a whole new sound and has the quality that I was looking for. Very simple way of thinking, but I wanted to narrow down my choices of IEM before I doubt my choice of the IEM I choose in the future. That is why I started this forum to get more info on IEMs that will meet my needs, I do agree that there is a better quality IEM around the world and not only in Japan, and if you have  more recommendation that is out of Japan, feel free to post more, and please put the full name of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back