Good IC's for rig
Aug 1, 2003 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm pretty new to all this stuff, and I've been a member here for a short while now. Anyways, I'm planning on getting a Sharp SD-NX10 CD/MD shelf system shortly, and it as analog out. I also plan on getting a portable amp to use with my portable MD (Sony NF610) or CD (Sony EJ925) player, but for now, it will also double as a home amp. Most likely a Meta42 from someone around here.

So for my home system, I am going to need an RCA 2 Mini cable and for my portable setup, I am going to need a Mini 2 Mini cable.

Well, I really don't know much about good cables, and I am not looking to spend a ton of money. Preferably no more than $100 per cable. So do you guys have any ideas? I've heard the Pivot's by Zu Cable are good. So are those worth taking a look at?

You guys have any other suggestions?

Do any members around here put together cables for people?

How about Monster cable? I work at Best Buy, so I could probably get a good deal on those.

Thanks a lot for any input.

Aug 2, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 12
None of the 38 of you guys that have viewed this have any input? C'mon, help a newb out.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 12
Zu
-Mag

Aug 2, 2003 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Cool, thanks. Could any ody answer my other questions also? Tnanks.

EDIT: I was looking around at the Zu site, and I have a question. What's the diff. between the Pivot cables and stuff like the Gede and the Varian? Are the Gede and Varian, just RCA 2 RCA? Thanks.

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, the Gede and Varials are RCA>RCA, while the pivot comes in a mini>mini or a mini>RCA config. I have a 1.5m mini>RCA. It rocks. I would go for one of those and one of thier mini>minis. Don't buy them off the website though. Email Zu and ask him to list them on ebay in the length/config you want with a reasonable price and it will be a good deal cheaper. Good luck.
-Mag

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Hi,
I have both, mini-mini and RCA to mini, made out of Homegrown Braided Silver Cable. They are terrific cables for in this price range. I would sincerely recommend JMT, you can PM him and coordinate budget and timing. Both of my cables were made by him
rs1smile.gif

Hope this helps
CD..

Aug 3, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 12
I haven't heard JMT's, but I guarantee that the Zu Pivot will be notably superior to Monster cables.

Aug 3, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 12
I've also been wondering how the Zu Pivot cables compare to Homegrown Audio Braid DIY ones. My source is my computer (M-Audio Revolution card) and my amp will be a JMT-built meta42. Has anyone tried both of those cables?

Aug 3, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 12
The Home Grown Audio cables actually come in 3 different braid configurations. The top-end Silver Lace is an "8 strand Litz braided geometry", the Diva's are a 4 strand braid and the Super Silvers are a 3 strand braid.

I have owned both the Super Silvers ($109.95/meter) and Silver Lace ($209.95/meter) interconnects. Both are excellent performers. I currently own the Zu Cable Varial ($499/meter but can be purchased for ~$225/meter on Ebay and Audiogon). The Varials are just a bit better than the Silver Laces in every respect. These are not the cables you mentioned, but they are from the same companies. IMO both make excellent cables for a great price. I also believe that both have a trial period allowing you to try them out and return them if they aren't to your taste.

BTW here are some other cables companies you might consider as they have received good marks here at head-fi and are relatively inexpensive: Boulder and Outlaw. A search should be able to dig up some reviews of their cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back