Good home amp for HD595
Jul 19, 2005 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bails

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a reasonably good quality amp for my Sennheiser HD595s. The Rega Ear would fit my budget, but I gather it might not be so good with low impedance cans (I have the 50ohm version of the 595s). Does anyone have any comments on the Rega? Any suggestions of other possibilities?
Thanks.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 16
I've been using the output on my Rio Karma with no problems, but haven't really heard any amps other than a SuperDual that I stupidly sold. I find that the output on the Karma well makes up for an amp, but am also interested in something more. I was looking at basic CMOYs or a Go-Vibe, but unsure it it would be worth it with these cans.

Sorry I can't help.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bails
Does nobody use an amp with their 595s? How about the Musical Fidelity x-can v3?

Strange thing to happen, but actually I prefer the 595s sound out of portables and standard amps to its sonic balance with my Corda Prehead MK II SE. IMO the 595s sound nicely neutral and detailed with "poor" equipment. With the Prehead (and other head-ampI've used) IMHO they sound rather dull and bloated. Also the (to my ears) graininess in the upper mids and lower highs becomes more pronounced. So IMHO if you like the 595s sound as it is you could live happily with them and without a head-amp. But I also own a Sony MDR CD770 and a Sennheiser HD 650 and those greatly profit from the Prehead.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the replies - very interesting.

I actually have no choice but to get an amp. I have an av receiver (Marantz SR9300) with external amps (CIAudio D-100 monoblocks) in my home theater/hi-fi system. The problem is that when using the receiver's headphone jack its pre-outs still work. The result is that if I plug the headphones in I still get sound through the main speakers - kind of defeats the purpose.

There's no way around it but to get a separate headphone amp (and hey, if I just have to get a new toy than what can I do about it?). I must admit I don't do a great deal of headphone listening and would really just be looking to listen to music/movies/tv late at night when the family's asleep.

I'm drawn towards the Rega primarily because of the low cost. In Australia, where I am, it's considerably cheaper than most other options. I really just want to check that it's going to sound okay with the 595s (I'll have to order it without listening). If it doesn't, I guess I'll just have to upgrade to the 650s, which I've heard are a good match for the Rega. And if I have to...

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 16
My budget is probably around the US$300-500 mark, though the less the better!

The Rega is the cheapest I've been looking at, hence my interest (it's A$390), but I'd include the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3, the Talisman T-31H, and the Creek OBH-21.

These are the amps that are readily available in my area, in my budget. Are any of them likely to mate better than the others with the 595s? If not, I'm inclined to go with the Rega. I've read some comments on these forums about the Rega not being so great with low impedance phones, but that seems to be the case with most amps. The Rega has the advantage that it is the cheapest, will serve the function that I need from an amp, and may actually improve the sound quality.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bails
My budget is probably around the US$300-500 mark, though the less the better!

The Rega is the cheapest I've been looking at, hence my interest (it's A$390), but I'd include the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3, the Talisman T-31H, and the Creek OBH-21.

email or IM me

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 16
I am running a Gilmore Lite with my 595s and I love it, makes the treble sound more detailed and refined, and the the sound is just so smooth, I couldn't recommend it enough.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm using a Go-Vibe v.3 with my 595s (50 ohm), and I like it a lot. I have been using it connected to the line-out jack from my iRiver H10 dock. Compared to the headphone out from the H10 (which is pretty decent sounding), the Go-Vibe smooths-out and expands the mids a bit and tightens up the bass. It also works well between my computer soundcard and 595s. The Go-Vibe also allows changing op-amps.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 16
Gilmour Lite for home. I have a supermacro v.1 and it's awesome with them, But I'm getting a Lite soon

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 16
I use a headsave classic (v. 1) with my hd555, and it is an excellent match. There have been some classics for sale here lately, maybe you could snag yourself one of those? Would run you around $150 used.

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, after much indecision, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Rega Ear. Ultimately what tipped the balance in its favour is that it comes in black, which will match my other gear better. Shallow, aren't I? The Rega was also the cheapest option for me and, given that I'm not a huge headphone listener (I hear sharp intakes of breath all around me), I figured that just so long as it works I'll be happy.

The amp arrives on Tuesday and I can't wait to play with my new toy! Thanks for all your help.

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 16
From reading your options, it sounds like you have read some high end audio magazine reviews but havent really explored head-fi much yet. There are lots of awesome 300 dollar amps for example the gilmore lite, headroom micro, and the smv3 that can probably beat the rega ear in value and maybe for sheer sound quality too. You could have saved more dough
icon10.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
From reading your options, it sounds like you have read some high end audio magazine reviews but havent really explored head-fi much yet. There are lots of awesome 300 dollar amps for example the gilmore lite, headroom micro, and the smv3 that can probably beat the rega ear in value and maybe for sheer sound quality too. You could have saved more dough
icon10.gif

I have spent some time going through posts on head-fi, but there have been two problems. First, there's very little on amps for the 595s. Second, none of those other options (gilmore, headroom etc) are readily available in Australia. There are issues of power supply compatibility (Australia is 230v/50Hz) and also the costs of shipping and import duties tend to make them less competitive. Anyway, hopefully I'll be happy with the Rega.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back