Good HI-FI Store In Boston/MA
Jun 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

missleman101

Head-Fier
hi , I'm looking for a good hi-fi shop in the MA area . I'm looking to upgrade my amp and i would like to try some out before buying one, does anyone know a place that stocks these, specifically Schiit Products in the Boston/MA surrounding areas? If you know of one in surrounding states, speak up also, that could work.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 9
I was just there, I went to http://www.theaudiolab.com/ and they had a lot of good stuff. You might have some luck there. The guy was very friendly.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 9
When I went to the store he even had preowned headphones and I also think he sells amps. But hehave a lot of stuff tbh. Not sure if the prices are good, he was selling the K702 for $200 and that's all I remember. I think the website is not updated but maybe just give him a call.

Good luck :)

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
When I went to the store he even had preowned headphones and I also think he sells amps. But hehave a lot of stuff tbh. Not sure if the prices are good, he was selling the K702 for $200 and that's all I remember. I think the website is not updated but maybe just give him a call.

Good luck :)

Thanks alot, that helps me out so much!

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Well Audiolab (in Cambridge) has been mentioned, there is Audio Concepts on Comm. Ave (where Spearit Sound used to be), AudioDave in Belmont, and Goodwins High-End in Waltham.

as to which of them is good ... define your sense of good.

I have heard good things about Audio Concepts but have not yet been, however they are the only one of them who has either picked up the phone or responded to an email. Visit planned for early July.

Goodwins has rarely been open when I tried to visit, and the one time I got through the door I got the 'we don't serve your kind' vibe and left. I'm about to drop 4 figures when I could get something that works for 50 bucks, ass kissing needs to start ASAP. Also they start where Audiio Lab leaves off in price point, they exist exclusively in the diminishing returns segment, which is nice to have but out of my justification. They had a hand in Spearit Sound and I was a little unhappy with my dealings there. Also I don't think they have much headphone gear.

AudioDave has some rave internet reviews, but I have yet to go, and it might be appointment only. Beyond this I have never met anyone who has been to this place.

And Audio Lab. Have yet to have a satisfactory visit there (and being local that means a few in the last few years). The reviews on the utter awkwardness of these guys is spot on. If you want to spend an afternoon talking the comparative merits of vinyl weight for varying periods of Pink Floyd pressings of Dark Side of the Moon then this is probably your place. Getting their attention was hard enough, asking for a demo ... not so easy. But their gear selection tends to be the good value stuff, and the real high end is Macintosh only. Don't recall any heaphone amps, or any DACs, suspect they would look upon me with the scathing of seven devils for asking to hear a DAC. But they do have the better value brands (NAD, Creek, Grado, Tivoli, etc.). Also so I don't come across as completely down on them, they all appear to like good audio, rather than like selling it (which is rare the world over).

Hmmm. Rereading this does sound negative. not meant to be.

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Well Audiolab (in Cambridge) has been mentioned, there is Audio Concepts on Comm. Ave (where Spearit Sound used to be), AudioDave in Belmont, and Goodwins High-End in Waltham.

as to which of them is good ... define your sense of good.

I have heard good things about Audio Concepts but have not yet been, however they are the only one of them who has either picked up the phone or responded to an email. Visit planned for early July.

Goodwins has rarely been open when I tried to visit, and the one time I got through the door I got the 'we don't serve your kind' vibe and left. I'm about to drop 4 figures when I could get something that works for 50 bucks, ass kissing needs to start ASAP. Also they start where Audiio Lab leaves off in price point, they exist exclusively in the diminishing returns segment, which is nice to have but out of my justification. They had a hand in Spearit Sound and I was a little unhappy with my dealings there. Also I don't think they have much headphone gear.

AudioDave has some rave internet reviews, but I have yet to go, and it might be appointment only. Beyond this I have never met anyone who has been to this place.

And Audio Lab. Have yet to have a satisfactory visit there (and being local that means a few in the last few years). The reviews on the utter awkwardness of these guys is spot on. If you want to spend an afternoon talking the comparative merits of vinyl weight for varying periods of Pink Floyd pressings of Dark Side of the Moon then this is probably your place. Getting their attention was hard enough, asking for a demo ... not so easy. But their gear selection tends to be the good value stuff, and the real high end is Macintosh only. Don't recall any heaphone amps, or any DACs, suspect they would look upon me with the scathing of seven devils for asking to hear a DAC. But they do have the better value brands (NAD, Creek, Grado, Tivoli, etc.). Also so I don't come across as completely down on them, they all appear to like good audio, rather than like selling it (which is rare the world over).

Hmmm. Rereading this does sound negative. not meant to be.

yeah thanks for the info , i plan to go to audiolab , im in the middle of doing a PC build and need to hit up MicroCenter for some parts, ill tell you how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back