Good headset recommendation
Apr 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tprz

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a reasonably priced headset that could be used for VoIP chat, that doesn't suck with music and is quite comfortable.
I tested so far a few candidates and unfortunately can't nominate the definite winner.

I'm counting on the community to suggest potential alternatives.

Below are notes that I took during a brief evaluation.

AKG GHS 1

[size=small]Apart from cool design there's not much else that's good. Headphones are not very comfortable, only analog jacks (no USB adapter), microphone part is very short and collects surrounding noise too much.[/size] [size=small] Headphones give decent range of frequencies, but not outstanding. Also the pads don't let any air to the ear (hot feeling) and the way they're put together is fragile and can be easily removed from the plastic part.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [size=small] Klipsch Image ONE[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] First reaction after putting them in was: o wow they're light! After wearing AKG they feel VERY comfortable. Only thing I was missing was mic band, but this is a hidden mic so they look like a regular headphones (a plus for those who hate looking like a pilot).[/size]
[size=small] The low frequencies are favored during listening to the music for those who like a heavy beats.[/size]
[size=small] On-the-line volume control and a built-in microphone (mobile headset style - only a small hole).[/size]
[size=small] The quality of this microphone is not very good. The reason is that it amplifies everything instead of the sounds that matter (voice).[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [size=small] Sennheiser 320[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Light model, not extremely comfortable as Klipsch, but still comfortable. Comes with two analog jacks.[/size]
[size=small] It has a dedicated mic boom, so the mic is placed right by mouth during the chat. [/size]
[size=small] The whole spectrum of frequencies is well-balanced without any bias towards high or low tones.[/size]
[size=small] Interesting is the placement of volume control that's on the right dome which maybe hard to guess by some users.[/size]
[size=small] Also when mic is folded back to the up right position it switches into Mute mode automatically.[/size]
[size=small] Ear padding is made of fabric which still let's the ears breathe.[/size]
[size=small] The microphone collects the frequencies all the way to 20kHz which is not a necessity, but its placement next to mouth and excellent background noise separation make it stand out when compared to the competitors. The recorded voice is nice and clean.[/size]
[size=small] Feel plasticky comparing to Klipsch.[/size]

[size=small] Sony DR-ZX701iP[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Light headphones sitting well on head, comfortable, ears fit inside of the cups. Cushion is very soft and isolates well from the outside noise. The headband has nice cushion that make it easy to wear for longer period of time.[/size]
[size=small] One analog jack works with Macs out-of-box. Purchase of splitter would be necessary for other systems.[/size]
[size=small] Microphone is located on the cable very close to the chin which may improve the voice recording. It's also a volume control and in this case the close placement to the head makes things complicated because I am unable to see which button I'm pressing.[/size]
[size=small] Microphone collects everything including the surrounding noise and adds a white noise. However comparing to Klipsch the voice level is higher because the microphone is placed closer to the mouth.[/size]
[size=small] Frequency spectrum for the microphone shows 100-10,000 Hz with the majority ending on ~8kHz which is typical for voice.[/size]
[size=small] Headphones give a decent sound when it comes to listening to music. There's no bias in any direction. Cups are fully covered which helps keeping it quiet.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [size=small] Sennheiser PC350[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Considering its size and full ear cups it feels light and comfortable when worn. The cup cushions are soft and align well surrounding the ear which fits inside of cup.[/size]
[size=small] It comes with two separate analog jacks (USB adapter purchase required for Macs).[/size]
[size=small] Volume control is on the cable.[/size]
[size=small] The microphone sound quality is what makes this headset stand out from the rest. It has great noise cancellation mechanism that separates the speaker's voice very well from the surrounding sounds. The sound is crisp and clear.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [size=small] Conclusion:[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I like the smaller more compact headphones like Klipsch or AKG. The first one's weakness is the mic quality and bass boosting, the latter lacks good mic quality and is not very comfortable.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Mid size headsets by Sony and Sennheiser (320) are comfortable to wear however Sony's microphone is just an average mic comparable to the Klipsch. Sennheiser 320 has good mic, however its ear cups are half open which can potentially be a problem for music listeners and their neighbors.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Full size headset -  Sennheiser 350 - microphone quality and speaker quality set the bar very high. The cons would be its size and necessity of purchasing additional USB adapter for Macs.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back