Good Headphones
Mar 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Nastadon

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm in need of some good headphones. I just got a brand new HP laptop with beats audio in it, so I was looking at the Beats Studio headphones to go along with it. But not sure if that would be worth the money since I see they get a lot of hate. I'm in a band and we play some heavy music (Pantera, Tool, A7X) I'm the bassist so I would like something that would produce some good bass, and I need a pair that will cancel out sound because our drummer is heavy with his sticks and I feel like I will go deaf after practice each week. I'll be using it for music too, and I listen to mostly hip-hop like  Kanye, and KiD Cudi. I have $350 to spend, but I'd like something around 200 probably if possible.

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 24
Please remove the beats audio sound card, not too sure how it works, even if there is a sound card but it distorts the sound.
Get the Denon ATH-D2000, famous for massive controlled bass

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 24
I really hope the beats audio wasn't a buying point for you..it distorts sound like all hell, I'd remove it ASAP or just not use your laptop as the source..

D2K is a good option, maybe the D5k as you can find them used for ~350-380ish, ATH-M50 might be an option as well. All of the recommended headphones are closed and produce pretty nice quality bass.

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 24
  The Denon D2000/5000 are good suggestions, but I don't think that they will do well enough at blocking outside noise. Denons don't really have much isolation, which is a pity.

I think that the famous Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a good idea, because it produces very strong bass and is not bad at blocking outside noise.
  Another suggestion is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80, which should sound better than the M50 in pretty much every way and  block outside noise more effectively. But I believe that you might need an amplifier to bring out its potential. (You could spend the leftover money on an amp+DAC ;3)
  And my last suggestion is the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. It has the best noise isolation of the three, but just won't sound as great. The bass, specifically, won't be as powerful.

Also, on the subject of Beats Audio....Yikes D=. It's just a built-in bass-boost EQ, effectively. I'm sorry if you're stuck with it.
triportsad.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Please remove the beats audio sound card, not too sure how it works, even if there is a sound card but it distorts the sound.
Get the Denon ATH-D2000, famous for massive controlled bass

Is it really that bad? I have no idea how it works either, I just ordered it, comes in next week.

Quote:
I really hope the beats audio wasn't a buying point for you..it distorts sound like all hell, I'd remove it ASAP or just not use your laptop as the source..

D2K is a good option, maybe the D5k as you can find them used for ~350-380ish, ATH-M50 might be an option as well. All of the recommended headphones are closed and produce pretty nice quality bass.

nope it wasn't, I'm a computer tech/programmer and I just needed a good laptop for work to handle all the programs I use. And I've been a supporter of HP for years, so had to go with them. But for some reason all HP computers come with beats audio now, I didn't have any choice for an audio card at all. So if I need to swap it out when I get the laptop it will be very easy to do. As far as using the laptop as a source, I only use it for music at band practice, I hook it up to the PA and we play along to a few songs just to get warmed up, then we play our own songs. So it's used for only a couple songs a week. Don't really want to spend that much on used stuff though.

Quote:
  The Denon D2000/5000 are good suggestions, but I don't think that they will do well enough at blocking outside noise. Denons don't really have much isolation, which is a pity.

I think that the famous Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a good idea, because it produces very strong bass and is not bad at blocking outside noise.
  Another suggestion is a headphone made for drummers, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M, which should sound better than the M50 in pretty much every way and will block outside noise much more effectively(especially the drumming.) But I believe that you might need an amplifier to bring out its potential. (You could spend the leftover money on an amp+DAC ;3)

Also, on the subject of Beats Audio....Yikes D=. It's just a built-in bass-boost EQ, effectively. I'm sorry if you're stuck with it.
triportsad.gif

Damn, that's one thing I really need. Those drums are LOUD. The M50 does look good though, I might have to grab that. I was actually looking at the DT 770 though, I know that's what Kanye uses in his studio, but I had never heard of them besides that so I didn't know how good they were. Though it would suck to have to by an amp for my headphones, I was going to use the extra money on my headphones to save up and buy an amp for my bass, I need a new one for that too!

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Hello, I'm in need of some good headphones. I just got a brand new HP laptop with beats audio in it, so I was looking at the Beats Studio headphones to go along with it. But not sure if that would be worth the money since I see they get a lot of hate. I'm in a band and we play some heavy music (Pantera, Tool, A7X) I'm the bassist so I would like something that would produce some good bass, and I need a pair that will cancel out sound because our drummer is heavy with his sticks and I feel like I will go deaf after practice each week. I'll be using it for music too, and I listen to mostly hip-hop like  Kanye, and KiD Cudi. I have $350 to spend, but I'd like something around 200 probably if possible.

M-Audio Q40 with these velour pads. Excellent isolation, good comfort, monstrous bass, but clear mids & smooth treble. Excellent for everything. Pretty easy to drive. Portable, collapses, removable/replaceable cord that screws in, not just plugs in, built very rugged and tank-like. $150~160 total. Get the velour pads. They help with comfort & isolation.

Shure SRH840
Shure SRH750DJ
Beyer DT770

Very best,

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 24
DT 770 seems to meet all your needs. I know they can be had from the $150-$175 range on here, so you could just spend the rest to get an amp. Even a $40 cmoy amp should do the trick.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 24
Need is perhaps not as accurate as suggesting can reach their full potential with an amp. I myself have the DT770s and a FiiO E11 amp and just love the combination. An amp will allow you to drive your headphones to higher volumes than you can typically expect from just the amplification from an iPod for instance. The sound quality should improve somewhat, but that is less likley to be what you notice, however, the music being louder, assuming it isn't distorting, will likely be perceived as sounding better. With my FiiO I feel quite strongly that there is more depth to the music and the bass is more controlled and more extended. I also play drums to similar music so I can relate to a hard bashing drummer being difficult to handle. I eventually learned to mellow, but it is a tricky balance as it sometimes comes at a price in attack.

Anyway, from experience I can concur with what others are saying about the 770 being a great fit, I love mine and I find them very musical and engaging. They make me want to use my portable rig! Best of luck in your quest.

Mar 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Man, I swear to join head-fi you should be required to hate beats by dre . . . actually you should swear to join a mission of making beats fall!

The amount of good money that could go into the head-fi industry is being sucked up by stupid beats 
mad.gif
 it's a real shame. 

@op $350 is like a middleground, not much you can do there. Under $200 and there are plenty of good selections without the need for amplificaiton. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 24
Think I'm going with the ATH-M50, but there is an M50, and an M50S, is there a difference? Both are the same price.

EDIT - nevermind, know I know. Alright yeah I'm buying a pair! Thanks for the recomendations everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back