Good headphones, with good bass, that doesn't require an amp
Apr 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #16 of 20
True.. but I think those are all open headphones, no? I like to get lost in my games (I play a lot of RPGs and stuff on my PC) so atmosphere is huge, and in games like Mass Effect bass will sound incredible and help me get into it more.

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by moop1167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read in a review that those Grados don't sound too hot without some sort of amp.

What the heck?! They are some of the best sounding ampless full sized headphones. I use my 325i straight from my iPhone on a normal basis.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by moop1167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read in a review that those Grados don't sound too hot without some sort of amp.

I am obviously not an audiophile but I don't mind spending some money on the best headphones I can get that can be powered without an amp.

Actually of all full sized headphones, the Grados are among the best unamped. They are very efficient headphones at only 32 ohms impedance. Compared to Sennheiser HD600 and higher at 300 ohms, the Grados are much better suited for unamped operation.

Please don`t confuse this with the fact that they do sound better with the RIGHT amp, but still very good without one (especially compared to the power hungry Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics).

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds like a closed phone would be up your alley.
popcorn.gif

If you do decide to go the closed route, I can highly recommend the Denon D2000. I've had the D2000 and currently have the D5000 and D7000. All three sound wonderful plugged straight into my motherboard's onboard sound.

People say they need an amp. I've heard them amped by some pretty expensive stuff and I think the Denons are just fine straight out of a sound card.

A lot of people always say that open headphones are better than closed ones, but I think that's really just opinion rather than fact. I've heard a lot (and I do mean a lot) of headphones and it's really more about what you prefer rather than what people way about what is better.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 20
^ X2. The D2000 is an excellent phone for your price range. There are a bunch of them on the For Sale board for around $220. They have very nice bass, soundstage and separation. And they're extremely comfortable.

I prefer closed over open. To me, they're more fun. And I actually don't like the "airy" sound you get from an open phone. I like the sound to have more oomph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back