Good headphones to complement D5000?
Jan 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

militia890

New Head-Fier
I've had my Denon d5000's for nearly a month now and I'm loving them! They're great for the types of music I mainly listen to.

But, as they are a very fun and engaging can with an emphasis on the bass, I find myself getting a bit fatigued during long listening sessions. Every once in a while I just want a nice easy listening session with some laidback music (ranging from just a simple piano and vocalist, to full blown orchestras). I was doing some research and I was planning on getting some hd650's for this, but then so many people recommend the hd600's over it for classical. And then there are the 701's which some swear by.

It does NOT need pounding bass. Yes, I love my Denons, but I'm not exactly a basshead and I wont shy away from a pair of cans if they dont have that impact

Finally, and probably importantly, it needs to synergize well with the stepdance, or not need an amp at all because currently that is my only one (well it will be in a couple days once it arrives). This kind of makes me shy away from the hd650's, and made me cut the beyer 880 600 ohm from my list because I'm not altogether too sure how it will do driving these.

I'm a confused, lost little man for sure xD Thank you all for your help and opinions

Edit: Forgot to mention, I have a price range of $300-$400

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Well, first you need to find out what is actually fatiguing you. Is it the treble? Is it the bass? Is it just the air pressure from a closed headphone? Pressure from just wearing a headphone in general? Figure this out first. I say this because you've mentioned headphones that are going to seem as bright, and perhaps more fatiguing, than the D5000 for things. So it just doesn't make much sense if you're changing it up do that that. Also, most headphones that will compliment are going to be higher impedance in general. Everything you've mentioned requires amplification that is significant. My first thought for you is actually an AudioTechnica Art series like the AD900 or new A900X, since it needs minimal amplification and will do classical well. Now, if you can get the HD600 used you can use the rest of your budget to get an amplifier that will drive it sufficiently, and you could probably just get a DAC/AMP combo unit like the NFB-12 for example.

Very best,

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Honestly, I think what is fatiguing me is the bass. I like the bass and all, don't get me wrong, but my ears dont as they start to hurt a little bit after long sessions. It could just be that I'm just not used to having bass in my cans since I'm stepping up from the 595's and all.

Do all the headphones I listed require significant amplification? I read the hd600 is a little more forgiving when it comes to amp pairing, I was thinking maybe if I used a 15v power adapter with the stepdance, it would get it driving it fine.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Interesting that you find the bass fatiguing on the D5000. Perhaps it is the music you listen to?

I am looking for a nice open headphone as my second purchase after the D5000.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Perhaps. Not everyone has these problems of course, it could just be my ears are more sensitive, who knows? They may be fatiguing, but they're fun and engaging, and I wouldn't give that up for anything
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back