Good headphones for Rock/Metal paired with Marantz HD DAC1
Jan 18, 2016 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gamergtx260

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I have been a long time silent member (and a newbie) of headfi reading and collecting information. Recently I got the Marantz HD DAC1 (which is amazing btw)

My headphone inventories are
    Klipsch Image S4
    Etymotic HF5
    Sennheiser IE80
    Sennheiser HD 439 (Bass modded)
    Denon AH D600 

Most of the music I listen to is from Spotify premium (MP3 320Kbps) and FLACs from my fav bands (Korn, Deftones, Iron Maiden, Pantera.. etc).

I'm not a bass head. I like the Sennheiser IE80s of all the headphones I own. The guitars sound really nice on the IE80s ( are these sounds called the mids? ). I run them on my Cowon X7 + Fiio E12 Mont Blanc.

I was reading a lot on these forums and found that the Sennheiser HD 600s/650s are really great. But also found they are "slow" for metal music. 
Does the Sennheiser HD 600 sound more close to the Etymotics?

I'm looking for some good headphones that work well with the genres I listen to. My max budget is 500 euros and also willing to stretch a bit more. ( Dynamic or Planar doesn't matter as long I can power it on my Marantz)

I'm from Germany and would also like to know some online shops for good used head gears.

EDIT: I have ordered the Sennheiser HD 600s, which will be arriving tomorrow :) Hopefully it works great with my Marantz.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Got my Sennheiser HD 600. One word "Amazing". Unbelievable, Outstanding clarity and detail. Perfect balance with nice bass. Sounded perfect out of the box. Will it improve with some burn in? If so, Should I use pink noise?

Jan 20, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Got my Sennheiser HD 600. One word "Amazing". Unbelievable, Outstanding clarity and detail. Perfect balance with nice bass. Sounded perfect out of the box. Will it improve with some burn in? If so, Should I use pink noise?

Well, I Had recommended the Grado PS500 because of the house sound working with rock and metal and it's ability of being one of the warmest-sounding Grados I heard priced at $500+, if not the warmest. However, the Sennheiser HD600 is more well-rounded for all genres and is more comfortable, even if you put G-Cush (over-ear) ear pads on the PS500. The HD600's better scalability with amps also match it up better with the Marantz HD DAC1.

If you are impatient, pink noise can work, though not necessary.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Actually I'm still considering another pair of headphones only for rock/metal. I bought the hd 600 for all genres as you said. Will definitely check out the grados, thanks much :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back