Good headphones for Rock around $250/$300 ?
Dec 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

abesh

100+ Head-Fier
For headphones, I have the Beyerdynamics DT880 and the Ultrasone Signature Studios which I really like. Both are great headphones and sound fantastic. I am looking for a headphone to augment my collection for around $250-300. I am looking for a little more bass than the ones that I own and a good soundstage with instrument separation.

What would be your recommendation.

My source is mostly my phone and laptop with the following DACS/AMPS : Oppo HA-2, Cayin C5 & Chord Mojo.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 4
I would recommend Sennheiser HD650. They are popular headphones for a reason. You can find a LOT of reviews of them online to check it out. I personally owned a pair and I believe they are perfect for you. They certainly don't lack in bass. Soundstage and separation are both good. My only concern is whether your setup can drive them. I have never owned any of the three amps you listed and my portable amp is a quite powerful Continental V5.

I believe massdrop has hd6xx (which I think is sonically the same as the 650) on 200 bucks right now. If you don't mind to wait three months, then massdrop 6xx is the way to go.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't like the 650 for rock honestly, they're very relaxed and don't sound exciting enough for rock. Usually Grado is the brand synonymous with rock music

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 4
If you want more bass, why not stick with Beyer and go for the 770? For a bigger stage, maybe the X2's from Philips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back