Good headphones for Rap/Hip-Hop
Feb 3, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
And you are correct, increasing the bass on a computer is inferior to the amp with a bass boost option. The E7 has that option and the E9 has a gain switch.

That depends on what EQ you're using on the computer, different EQs will provide very different results. If using for example the EQ of the integrated crap Realtek HD onboard sound then as soon as you enable the EQ and do one little change on it (you can completely disable it from being used) you'll hear how the sound quality takes a big hit whereas if using for example the EQ included with kX Audio drivers for a Creative Audigy card there's no sound quality hit at all, more like the opposite it will improve as you balance it properly for the headphone in question. I don't know about E7 but I had worse results using the E5 and it's bass boost setting vs not using it and tweaking the EQ instead, the result was less muddy sound (bass was better separated) as the mids weren't affected as much when tweaking the EQ so the EQ on my computer actually worked better than the bass boost switch on E5.

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 20
That is true. I haven't had much luck in getting quality sound out of a computer EQ in the past, but that is more likely than not just the equipment I have been using. My one piece of advice as far as using EQ is to avoid presets, like what come with programs like iTunes. Probably obvious, but using those presets veils the other aspects of the sound. Definitely stick with customizable EQs. Again, probably pretty obvious but just throwing it out there.

I think that with the Beyers, if this is the option you choose to go with, once they are broken in (took about 20 hours for me), between amping and the actual burn in you won't need a bass boost.

May 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #18 of 20
i am also looking for headphones for r&b/rap/hip hop, i want to find a pair of headphones that have a fast punchy bass not boomy, i like bass just more punchy. i like clear vocals and extended highs. i really like good seperation too. i like a clear sound not muddy. When i listened to a pair of Denon AH-D2000's i found them to sound muddy, as if they we're being played through a surface, if that makes sense. So the criteria i am looking for in headphones are, Closed, Punchy, Fast, Clear, Seperated, if there are any headphones like this could anybody recommend some? I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770, do they fit the criteria?

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #20 of 20
I wouldn't say the M50 has a muddy bass (not too clear, not too bloated) but the problem is that it's a little too emphasized - it takes over the midrange. 

Look into closed headphones only. Open backs are probably not suitable for those genres. The Shure headphone lines should be great but Sony headphones at this price range have a reputation here as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back