Good headphones for my old, dilapidated ears?
Apr 16, 2007 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jmourik

Head-Fier
Hi y'all, first real post here...

Bought a Zune a couple of weeks ago, and it sounds very nice with my Sennheiser PX-100. I also bought the Shure E3c for when I'm travelling, but I must say I prefer the PX-100, better bass most noticeable for me. So I'm looking for a good quality headphone that will be easily better than the PX-100, even to my 44 year old ears. And I have to admit that those ears are far from golden. I don't hear much above 15khz, plus I have tinnitus. All of this makes me wonder how much I should spend on a good pair of headphones. I've read much positive about the Grado SR60, but wonder if the step up is enough. How about the SR225, seems like the best bang for the Grado buck? Anything else within reason, say < $300, I should consider?

Music most often listened to: Steely Dan... Or see my last.fm page

Thanks for any advice,

jan

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're looking into Grado, and have a $300 budget, I'd suggest getting the Alessandro MS2i's. (http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html) Most consider them to have the best price to performance ratio of all Grado products, and trust me, they sound great. Alessandro is a company that specializes in guitar amps, but they decided one day that they wanted to offer headphones. So they called upon Grado to make them a special line of unique phones that retain some of the Grado magic yet sound noticeably different. No one knows the exact differences between Grado products and Alessandro products, but its an excepted fact that the former tends to have harsher high frequencies and the latter is a little laid-back.

Oh, and welcome to Head-fi, and whatever you get, sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking into Grado, and have a $300 budget, I'd suggest getting the Alessandro MS2i's. (http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html)

Ah, I was just searching for their webpage, thanks!
Those are enough of a step up from the gr225 that even I can hear it?
lambda.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and welcome to Head-fi, and whatever you get, sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

No need to feel bad for my wallet, just don't tell my wife
wink.gif

jan

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any music even really go over 15khz?

How would I know?
icon10.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Well; I don't know if my 60+ year old ears are dilapidated or not, but yeah; they do have a bit of wear. However they really like my MS2i.

I sometimes have tinnitus too.

Only if I take my heart medication.
frown.gif

Oh. Hi Jan! Just looked at your music likes. Yeah; looks like you may be a prime candidate for MS2i!
smily_headphones1.gif

Rich.

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any music even really go over 15khz?

Yep. I'm still young enough to hear frequencies up to 24,000hz, but I'm pretty sure CD's only go to 21,000hz anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back