Good headphones for Metal/hard rock?
Dec 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 8
I would give the cheap but amazing sennheiser px100ii a go.What dap do you have.A cheap but excellent warm sound can be achieved with the original ipod first gen shuffle and the px100.I swear by this combo.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/12360#post_10046059
The metal head guys in this thread have some very good experience and views.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 8
I feel funny recomending these as I just found out about em. My next headphone purchase will be the Zenkin by Urbanears. They can be purchased at Target on-line for about 65 bucks. Normal retail about $150.

I spent about a half hour with them. Totally my kind of signature. I like closed back headphones the best. I like a certain mid tone which these seem to provide. Just find a place and demo em.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the Grado SR80s and they are very good for the price and your genres. But based on your price range, I suggest the Grado SR225, which I have heard is a lot better than the SR80s. It is the headphone I would have bought, but did not have the money for at the time.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the response. I just looked into these. They seem to be on the cheap and cheesy side. Do you know how crisp the highs are because they advertise as them being great. Also does anyone else know how reputable Urbanears are?

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 8
I second the motion for Grados. 225i is better for metal than 80i, though 80i is a very good second best. 225i is the fastest of the SR series, and 80i has a very powerful treble. I don't recommend 125i because it sounds slow and cold compared to the others.

Honestly, I think they have to be heard to be believed. They're great for any treble-based music, such as guitar-oriented rock, string quartet, female vocals, organ.

There are many ways to change or improve Grados, from simple changes such as using different cushions (earpads) to elaborate mods such as replacing the plastic cups with wooden ones. Pretty much everything about them can be modded and maybe some things should be.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 8
  I second the motion for Grados. 225i is better for metal than 80i, though 80i is a very good second best. 225i is the fastest of the SR series, and 80i has a very powerful treble. I don't recommend 125i because it sounds slow and cold compared to the others.

Honestly, I think they have to be heard to be believed. They're great for any treble-based music, such as guitar-oriented rock, string quartet, female vocals, organ.

There are many ways to change or improve Grados, from simple changes such as using different cushions (earpads) to elaborate mods such as replacing the plastic cups with wooden ones. Pretty much everything about them can be modded and maybe some things should be.

Yea, I've been craving the 225i, but I am low on cash, so I ordered some new earpads for the sr80i... I heard they would make a good deal of difference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GCCO0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 8
  Yea, I've been craving the 225i, but I am low on cash, so I ordered some new earpads for the sr80i... I heard they would make a good deal of difference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GCCO0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, they will sound different and you can't tell in advance which you'll like more.

The stock S-cushions are simple and put the drivers close to your ears. That's why I like for listening to genres other than metal.

The ones you ordered, L-cushions, move the driver farther from the ear allowing you to have more of a sense of the speed of the music. It's more suited to metal. If you want more bass, consider tape-modding them.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back